Champion Trike Hitch wiring

Apr 26, 2014
Woodland Park, CO
I have had my 2009 IRS Champion for 2 years and decided to borrow a trailer for a trip. I went to plug the trailer wiring into the hitch's wiring and couldn't locate the hitch's wiring harness. I was told the Champion kit came from the factory with the wiring harness but I have looked carefully under the trike's trunk thinking it was tied up high under the receiver hitch but cannot locate it. I pried up the carpeting in the trunk and couldn't find it there either. (P.S. the original owner had not used the hitch previously).

For those with a Champion kit, any idea on where the hitch's wiring harness might be hidden or how I should go about tracing it??

Thanks!

The harness extension is usually located under the body at the back edge of the trunk floor. You will have to look w/mirror or light. The harness is held in place by clips and usually runs from the left to the right. Wire ends are usually heat-shrinked. It may have been partially glued into place. Unless cut off by installer, it should be there.

Jim, thanks very much for the hint on where to look. I think my problem was I was looking for a wiring bundle that had a plug on it. Instead I found a wire bundle with the ends heat shrinked (on the right side underneath) and held tight to the frame with wax and a frame clip about 4 inches to the left ...just as you predicted!

Question: what type of plug end does Champion normally install, given it looks like the wire bundle contains 5 or 6 wires.

I did find a Champion trike maintenance sheet that says the wiring of the trunk contains 6 wires so I am assuming that is what I will find once I pull the wire bundle off the frame.

I really appreciate you help and time on this....I doubt if I would have found the wiring bundle because I just assumed there would be a plug on the end!.

Thx, Keith

They usually use a 6 pin weather proof metal receiver. But it really depends on the trailer you use on what configuration and what end you sue. I usually use a flat five connector for a five wire trailer. One of those wires is a battery wire for inside trailer accessories like a cell phone charging station or access lighting.

I just found this old thread and hope someone here might see it.

I have an '06 Champion trike on a '06 VTX1800C. It has never pulled a trailer to my knowledge.

I am trying to connect a trailer' and found the harness mentioned above.

This harness has 6 wires.

Red

Black

Yellow

Green

Blue

Brown

Can anyone here tell me which wire is which ?

Thanks

I just found this old thread and hope someone here might see it.

I have an '06 Champion trike on a '06 VTX1800C. It has never pulled a trailer to my knowledge.

I am trying to connect a trailer' and found the harness mentioned above.

This harness has 6 wires.

Red

Black

Yellow

Green

Blue

Brown

Can anyone here tell me which wire is which ?

Thanks

The following is from the Champion installation book.

Running Lights - Brown

Brake Lights - Red

Right turn - Green

Left turn - Yellow

Accessory (12v+) Blue

Ground - Black

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yantwohands

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yantwohands
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png