Crucible Orange Metallic

GoldWingrGreg

JustWings.com
My 5th gen Wing's color is Crucible Orange Metallic. Because the right saddle bag was damaged years ago by a fellow rider, and because it's color was faded, I removed all 36 painted pieces, and took them to a paint shop that speciallizes in m/c painting. The shop is near a major trike dealer who uses him exclusively. So I felt I could trust his work. Unfortunanly, when I picked up my plastic, and after bringing it back and comparing the color to other Crucible orange parts, I'm really disappointed in the color. It's far more red then orange. I know the oranges that Honda uses are challenging, but this seems far off.

Take it out in the sunlight and see if there is a big difference. I had a burgandy pickup that was gorgeous in the sunlight but looked like dirty red inside.

The trike builder I used for my conversion would get the CSC bodies in primer only and then have a local shop color match for the bike. Prior to the conversion, he asked me to send a side panel beforehand so he could have the body painted before I arrived for the work. I asked if I could just send the gas door as I was going to be riding the bike down and didn't want either side exposed during the trip. He allowed me to do that. Problem with that was that because the gas door is almost always facing the sun, it was one of the more faded pieces on the bike.

The paint job did closely match the gas door but didn't match up with the majority of the rest of the bike. It ended up needing an immediate touch up. Not sure how he got it done but he did. It still was slightly off but blended much better afterwards. He did tell me his painter explained that orange colors are probably one of the most difficult to color match. He also said that gray primer doesn't work well and had to use a black primer before putting the color coat on.

And afterwards, I didn't think about it but had someone mention it to me, the gas door still could have been better used for the color match. Even though the top part was sun faded, the gas doors are fully painted and he could have easily flipped it over and color matched to that instead.

The trike builder I used for my conversion would get the CSC bodies in primer only and then have a local shop color match for the bike. Prior to the conversion, he asked me to send a side panel beforehand so he could have the body painted before I arrived for the work. I asked if I could just send the gas door as I was going to be riding the bike down and didn't want either side exposed during the trip. He allowed me to do that. Problem with that was that because the gas door is almost always facing the sun, it was one of the more faded pieces on the bike.

The paint job did closely match the gas door but didn't match up with the majority of the rest of the bike. It ended up needing an immediate touch up. Not sure how he got it done but he did. It still was slightly off but blended much better afterwards. He did tell me his painter explained that orange colors are probably one of the most difficult to color match. He also said that gray primer doesn't work well and had to use a black primer before putting the color coat on.

And afterwards, I didn't think about it but had someone mention it to me, the gas door still could have been better used for the color match. Even though the top part was sun faded, the gas doors are fully painted and he could have easily flipped it over and color matched to that instead.

In my case, he had 3 brand new, Crucible Orange Metallic pieces that I'd ordered in from Honda. They were replacing broken plastic. When I dropped it all off, I pulled the new plastic trunk from its box and we'd discused the need to match to this. We also knew that, because orange is hard to "perfectly match," that he'd be repainting the new plastic. Unfortunanly, what I got back was a plastic that looks like Illusion Red.

I have painted during my life as a body man. What I can say is some paints are tricoats. They can be tricky to paint. We had special cards looked like a black and white checkerboard. They had a hole in the middle. You paint the card and hold it up to the car until it matched. that's how many coats of the translucent top coats you needed. If I was painting the whole of something I wouldn't really have to match anything. So I would go with more coats so I was assured coverage.

Things I would never do is try to match something that will fit up to something else. I.e. don't paint a fender without painting the door. So I'll blend on the door. Whenever I paint something in pieces I always make sure they are arranged as they would be on the vehicle. Otherwise flip flop can be a problem. So as long as it looks good when it's assembled I'm not seeing the problem. I mean you could be parking next to a bike that's faded. That guy might be thinkin I wish my bike still looked that good.:Shrug:

Don't know if this will help, but you might try U.S. Paint in St Louis, Mo. My pull behind m/c trailer was damaged and was color matched to my bike, 2002 Honda goldwing that is the candy orange metallic. I called U.S. paint after trying other paint places that couldn't match it. Paint was a few shades off. They used to advertise 100% color match, my trailer matches my bike completley after using U.S. Paint.

I found 3 paint codes for orange. Candy Jupiter Orange YR236M and Pearl Sunburst Orange YR232P. I forgot YR275M Crucible Orange Metallic. Colorrite also has these colors.

Last edited:
I took all my plastic back, with a Crusible Orange saddle bag sample. The owner did admit that they didn't match the paint, but instead sanded all the pieces, including the brand new ones, and truested that Honda code 275 USPaint was gonna work. As I pointed out to him, when Honda paints there parts using code 275, it ends up a different color.

He wanted my sample peice to color match too, and of coarse I left that with him too.

Back