Disc Brake Conversion

pddgm

90+ Posts
May 15, 2014
Sunrise Beach, MO
I am trying to find any info on converting an older drum brake style conversion to a disc brake conversion. I contacted motortrike and they don't make a kit or couldn't or wouldn't offer any help or advise. I am in Florida and can't find any motorcycle shop that wants to work on the brakes on my trike. I went so far as to ask motortrike if a new rear end would fit my trike and again no help. I am pretty sure from what I got from motortrike years ago, that the shoes are the same ones used on a ford pinto, etc.

I am trying to find any info on converting an older drum brake style conversion to a disc brake conversion. I contacted motortrike and they don't make a kit or couldn't or wouldn't offer any help or advise. I am in Florida and can't find any motorcycle shop that wants to work on the brakes on my trike. I went so far as to ask motortrike if a new rear end would fit my trike and again no help. I am pretty sure from what I got from motortrike years ago, that the shoes are the same ones used on a ford pinto, etc.

I just got an e-mail from Motor Trike and they provided me with a parts list for the brakes. Solid axle trikes use the 7.5" Ford, common in 4 cyl Mustangs (Fox body) These normally come with 4 bolt hubs but mine has the upgraded 5 on 4 1/2" pattern. I'm also looking to go from drum to disk.

I just got an e-mail from Motor Trike and they provided me with a parts list for the brakes. Solid axle trikes use the 7.5" Ford, common in 4 cyl Mustangs (Fox body) These normally come with 4 bolt hubs but mine has the upgraded 5 on 4 1/2" pattern. I'm also looking to go from drum to disk.

Thanks for the info.... will check around and see if I can find the parts and if they will fit.....

Would you share the part numbers for the conversion, I have looked for 7.5 inch ford rotors and I don't find them listed anywhere, to include the mustang (fox body) cars...

Would you share the part numbers for the conversion, I have looked for 7.5 inch ford rotors and I don't find them listed anywhere, to include the mustang (fox body) cars...

MT sent the file in EXCEL format so I took a photo and will attempt to attach it.

Failing that, send me a PM with your e-mail.

OK, so that didn't work!

Send me an e-mail!

mike.levesque1945@gmail.com

Oops, I guess it worked!!!

Attachments

• 20220514_162137[1].jpg
    20220514_162137[1].jpg
    866.1 KB · Views: 102

Mustangs of those years never had disk brakes on the 7.5" rear ends. They did in V-8 cars equipped with the larger 8.8" rear ends Drum to disk conversions are available in the aftermarket. I've e-mailed MT again and asked for the year & model so that I can research further.

Wish me luck!!

Mike

Mustangs of those years never had disk brakes on the 7.5" rear ends. They did in V-8 cars equipped with the larger 8.8" rear ends Drum to disk conversions are available in the aftermarket. I've e-mailed MT again and asked for the year & model so that I can research further.

Wish me luck!!

Mike

GOOD LUCK.... I find their customer service very lacking, especially for older conversions. Apparently they don't keep very good records and when they transitioned to a new computer system, all of the info on older conversions was not saved. When you get time, please email me the list. The photo has part of the description, etc missing..

Can't say we didn't try to come up with a solution to the drum brake conversion. But, according to motortrike, the older conversions used solid rear axles and there is no easy way to separate them. So, basically we are dead in the water and will just have to live with drum brakes. I hunted around and found a auto repair shop that will work on them, so since HD shops won't even return the call or set an appointment to see of they can fix them and sell some other stuff..I will continue to use indy shops for tires ,etc.

Can't say we didn't try to come up with a solution to the drum brake conversion. But, according to motortrike, the older conversions used solid rear axles and there is no easy way to separate them. So, basically we are dead in the water and will just have to live with drum brakes. I hunted around and found a auto repair shop that will work on them, so since HD shops won't even return the call or set an appointment to see of they can fix them and sell some other stuff..I will continue to use indy shops for tires ,etc.

I found this on YouTube:

It's interesting, to say the least.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png