External breather home made catch can

Trampas

1000+ Posts
Aug 27, 2016
Des Moines IA US
I'm thinking of a homemade catch can like a empty pill bottle, leave it in the air box so I don't have to drill a hole in the back plate to run hose down to a filter. Have seen many pics of this on other forums and very simple way to do this for a external breather. I know windsurfed1 did this but he had catch can from DK's external breather kit that he bought which in turn didn't use most of the stuff in the kit, just the catch can.

Ok experts, will this work or not, I liked the idea of not drilling a hole in back plate, as for the people that did this don't know if it worked or not since they never said one way or the other.

Give me your thoughts about this?????

All for now Trampas

Yes it works, I have done this for a quick fix, not a pill bottle but that works good also

hd_breather_2_d826acabf289cba97d25363f45b77b799d5ca894.jpg

I did the pill bottle for some months. Just have to empty it about every 3K to 4K miles. Worked fine, no hiccups. Just switch over to DK EBS with the filter attached under the trike.

Thanks for the replies, I have a bottle that might work or otherwise I will keep looking.

All for now Trampas

P.S. that pic Jack posted I have seen that, I don't have a empty oil container at the moment. I like the fact the bottle I might use is sort of clear so I can see how much goes in.

Thanks for the replies, I have a bottle that might work or otherwise I will keep looking.

All for now Trampas

P.S. that pic Jack posted I have seen that, I don't have a empty oil container at the moment. I like the fact the bottle I might use is sort of clear so I can see how much goes in.

4k_8_26_d3cdc02842ed141299a0813f770ac9354d93c854.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

20181009_092709_4ab05ee2a9e45876459b0e106b86ffaa0d9f9b02.jpg

James, you probably already know this but make a couple vent holes in the top. When I made mine with the pill container. I had to remove the KN air filter every time to empty mine.

James, you probably already know this but make a couple vent holes in the top. When I made mine with the pill container. I had to remove the KN air filter every time to empty mine.

Yes for sure vent the top, with a stock HD air filter there is plenty of room to pull the cover off the pill bottle, The K&N filter is too wide to get the cover off without pulling the bottle completely out

DK Customs version

I bought the catch can from DK customs, but purchased the hose and fittings separately. Mounted it outside the breather box. I ride rain or shine and the catch can will sometimes foam out a bit of fluid. Mostly oily water. No mess inside the breather box.

I have since upgraded my air filter and intake so no more air box to mount it in anyway.

Anything you can do to keep it out of the intake is good.

When I find a bottle I know to put some vent holes in the top, plan on drilling the cap for the size of rubber tube and then maybe 2 or 4 smaller holes for the vent.

I just bought a Edelbrock street fuel filter in black that screws apart, put a rubber cap on bottom and then drill 4 small holes in top of it for the vents, got it at autozone, I wanted the russell fuel filter because it is way cheaper but I would have to order it and then not sure if I would get it, this edelbrock was in stock and it is black, matches the bike LOL. I think there will be enough room in air box for this if not keep looking or drill hole in back plate and run hose down to the fuel filter, hopefully I can it to work, I know my K&N filter is twice as big as the stock filter. I did pick up some 5/16 plastic caps that snap in place where the tube went to throttle body, I think that will work and I thought I would put a piece of duck tape over that for just the heck of it.

All for now Trampas

I ended up taking the edelbrock fuel filter back, it wasn't going to work with the K&N filter.

Ok another question, when drilling a hole in back plate for the hose exit I assume the same size as the hose, then file down the edges so they are smooth. I thought about making a bigger hole and then fill the hole with a grommet to put the hose thru, has anybody did this with a grommet or just the hole for the hose???

Keeping my options open so far, thanks for input

All for now Trampas

If making your own catch can, it is better to locate it outside the air box. There are 3 reasons to use an External Breather System:

1. Stop the oily air from going into the intake (and the can in the air box will do that)

2. Stop hot air from going into the intake

3. Stop oxygen depleted air from going into the intake

#'s 2 and 3 are still happening with the catch can in the air box.

Here's a good video on the subject-

Kevin

I ended up taking the edelbrock fuel filter back, it wasn't going to work with the K&N filter.

Ok another question, when drilling a hole in back plate for the hose exit I assume the same size as the hose, then file down the edges so they are smooth. I thought about making a bigger hole and then fill the hole with a grommet to put the hose thru, has anybody did this with a grommet or just the hole for the hose???

All for now Trampas

- - - Updated - - -

All for now Trampas

Drill just enuff so hose passes thru snugly

All for now Trampas

I used a Step Drill Bit (below). Made just big enough for the hose to slide through. No filling required:

https://www.amazon.com/COMOWARE-Ste...8-7-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGY&th=1

Kevin makes a great point about locating the can outside the box. You really do want to keep the inside of that box as clean as possible.

When I drilled my stock airbox i bought a rubber grommet that fit the hose size from Lowe's. I drilled the hole the same size as the outer diameter of the grommet and it worked great.

sometimes just looking around in a hardware store will give you a ton of ideas.

Kevin makes a great point about locating the can outside the box. You really do want to keep the inside of that box as clean as possible.

When I drilled my stock airbox i bought a rubber grommet that fit the hose size from Lowe's. I drilled the hole the same size as the outer diameter of the grommet and it worked great.

Ditto.

Agree with putting it outside since it must have vent. Friend installed a homemade catch can using a bottle and left it inside air box. I tried that and found the vent let oil mist in the air box. Got DK’s external catch can which works much better imo.

Thanks for all the replies, decided to drill the air box and put everything outside, just curious, what size hose to use, I have some 7/32 inch rubber hose, will that work ok, was at hardware store and found some brass connections of different various sizes. Also found some plastic split tubing to cover up rubber hose also.

All for now Trampas

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png