Frame by Frame Analysis of a Trike Wreck

Trainee: What do I do before a curve? Me: Slow down. Trainee: What do I do if theres black ice? Me: Slow down. Trainee: What do I do if theres freezing fog? Me: Slow down. What do I do if cars keep cutting in front of me? Me: Slow down. What do I do if the trailer begins to jack knife? Me: speed up. Trainee: Wait- what?

Trainee: What do I do before a curve? Me: Slow down. Trainee: What do I do if theres black ice? Me: Slow down. Trainee: What do I do if theres freezing fog? Me: Slow down. What do I do if cars keep cutting in front of me? Me: Slow down. What do I do if the trailer begins to jack knife? Me: speed up. Trainee: Wait- what?

All good advice! Add on to speeding up, apply trailer brakes only at the same time. :)

Kevin

To much speed for him. Panic time. Trike guys like to brag about how fast they can go through a corner. But the consequences can be pretty severe when things go bad.

Yep, speed really complicates the matter when things go wrong.

Kevin

- - - Updated - - -

Kevin you were behind him? How fast were you Going? What was the speed limit?

Yes, I was the second trike behind him.

I don't know how fast we were going....probably somewhere between 25 and 35. Not sure the posted speed limit...probably 35 mph, with some curves marked down to 10 & 15 mph. (this was not one of those).

Kevin

I'm figuring this isn't that common an occurrence. I've pushed my '21 Freewheeler pretty hard in some tight turns just to see what it was capable of and it felt rock solid the whole time.

No, not common at all. Keep the speed down. Practice in a parking lot if you want to expand the limits of riding capabilities. The Trikes are quite capable.

Kevin

- - - Updated - - -

The first time I rode the dragon with my wife I hit the first tight curve and picked up the inside tire.

I promptly got slapped upside my helmet.

Haven't done it since, that was in 2017 we have put over 80K on since then.

Bob

That'll do it! :laugh:

Kevin

Yep, speed really complicates the matter when things go wrong.

Kevin

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I was the second trike behind him.

I don't know how fast we were going....probably somewhere between 25 and 35. Not sure the posted speed limit...probably 35 mph, with some curves marked down to 10 & 15 mph. (this was not one of those).

Kevin

Thats messed up to loose control of a trike at 30 mph like that, I thought maybe you guys were haulin ass 50 - 60 mph. Have A guy live in one of my apartment's got a older Gold Wing He rear ended a car with it, It was totaled by the insurance company, I fix it for him, about a month later he rolled it over like that guy . Some people should not be walkin never mind riding a 3 wheeler .

Mine has a full width vette rear, but no sway bar, so if i push it, i can feal some body roll. I like the ride, so i dont have any plans on sway bar atm. I dont push corners or try and keep up, ill catch you in the straight areas. I do think some of the v8 boss hoss, v8 trikes a bit narrow, for the weight they carry

I was the second trike in line and I was following Kurt. He was right behind me, but I was far enough ahead of him and not watching my mirrors constantly I did not see i t happen. The speed limit for that stretch of roadway was 35 MPH. When I saw nobody behind me I started to slow down and finally when I was almost stopped I turned around and went back, then a couple minutes later Kurt came back. I was running mostly 3rd and 4th gear trying to keep my RPM un close to 3K to keep my bike from belching back thru the throttle body.

I was the second trike in line and I was following Kurt. He was right behind me, but I was far enough ahead of him and not watching my mirrors constantly I did not see i t happen. The speed limit for that stretch of roadway was 35 MPH. When I saw nobody behind me I started to slow down and finally when I was almost stopped I turned around and went back, then a couple minutes later Kurt came back. I was running mostly 3rd and 4th gear trying to keep my RPM un close to 3K to keep my bike from belching back thru the throttle body.

What about Chuck??????

:)

Chuck

So your running 3000 rpm in 3rd - 4th gear you must be doing 50 - 55 mph that makes more sense then the guy just flopping over at & 25 - 30 mph.

I am the one that was behind the trike and was filming this. As for speed I don't know how fast we were going exactly, I drive the Devil Highway (Coronado Trail) to my ability. I had 3 fractured ribs that were healing, so it wasn't to fast.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png