GL1500 Speedometer problem ... Help?

TwoBye

550+ Posts
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2014
Washington C. H.
Got up this morning to get ready to go to work :)mad:, yes it's Saturday and I'm working) and all was well until I started down the street on the trike. First thing I noticed was my speedometer was not working. Everything appears to be fine, just no speedo. Any suggestions? I have the service manual at home but like I said, I'm at work right now.

Just looking for ideas.

Got up this morning to get ready to go to work :)mad:, yes it's Saturday and I'm working) and all was well until I started down the street on the trike. First thing I noticed was my speedometer was not working. Everything appears to be fine, just no speedo. Any suggestions? I have the service manual at home but like I said, I'm at work right now.

Just looking for ideas.

Gear driven off the front wheel so I'd start there since it is the easiest to get at. If you are lucky it just came loose. Bad gears or cable most likely after that. I can't remember anyone ever saying the speedometer itself went bad but I guess it could...:xszpv: :xszpv:

Good Luck with the fix. :AGGHH:

Gear driven off the front wheel so I'd start there since it is the easiest to get at. If you are lucky it just came loose. Bad gears or cable most likely after that. I can't remember anyone ever saying the speedometer itself went bad but I guess it could...:xszpv: :xszpv:

Good Luck with the fix. :AGGHH:

Speedoo on my 99 Valk went south. Plenty of used and new around.

If Poster needs new make sure to check color of backlight.

They had green or orange.

Orange looks weird when rest is green,,,,,,,,don't ask.

UPDATE!!

OK, here's the scoop. Took front wheel back off, well we started to anyway, and when we removed the speedo cable to just check it for tight or whatever the actual metal cable inside the housing fell out, about 5 inches of it anyway. Ordered a new one (complete with housing) and will see if that's all I needed. I could see a spot in the cable where it had rubbed the bottom of the fairing until there was a hole in the housing and some rust had begun. I think on the new one I will try and protect it where it goes into the fairing with some rubber hose or some such 'insulator'. Anyway, that's where we are for now.

TwoBye

OK, here's the scoop. Took front wheel back off, well we started to anyway, and when we removed the speedo cable to just check it for tight or whatever the actual metal cable inside the housing fell out, about 5 inches of it anyway. Ordered a new one (complete with housing) and will see if that's all I needed. I could see a spot in the cable where it had rubbed the bottom of the fairing until there was a hole in the housing and some rust had begun. I think on the new one I will try and protect it where it goes into the fairing with some rubber hose or some such 'insulator'. Anyway, that's where we are for now.

TwoBye

I bet you have found your gremlin. Just to be sure. When you get the new cable and housing installed spin the part that goes into the wheel assembly to make sure everything it working up top. I don't expect any further issue but one never knows. :xszpv::xszpv:

I bet you have found your gremlin. Just to be sure. When you get the new cable and housing installed spin the part that goes into the wheel assembly to make sure everything it working up top. I don't expect any further issue but one never knows. :xszpv::xszpv:

I sure will, Thanks!!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stockville69

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stockville69
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png