Help with Throttle Boss needed

Leaky Waders

40+ Posts
Dec 30, 2022
Houston, TX, USA
I want to install a screw on throttle boss for my 2019 GL1800 Tour. I contacted Kuryakyn directly and was told that the proper part for my bike was item #6413. I reviewed the installation instructions on-line and it appears that the grip end caps are held on with 4 screws. My grips have weighted ends secured with one screw. I attached photos of my grips along with a photo of the 4 screw end cap shown in the installation instructions.

Has anyone found a throttle boss that will fit grips like mine?

Thanks,

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_0526.jpg
    IMG_0526.jpg
    969.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0528.jpg
    IMG_0528.jpg
    866.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0534.jpg
    IMG_0534.jpg
    794.9 KB · Views: 44
  • thumbnail_IMG_0536.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0536.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 41
I vaguely remember someone doing something like what your asking about.I will do some digging and see if I can get you more info.The Kuryakyn is for use with there grips.Avon probably has similar for there grips.

I want to install a screw on throttle boss for my 2019 GL1800 Tour. I contacted Kuryakyn directly and was told that the proper part for my bike was item #6413. I reviewed the installation instructions on-line and it appears that the grip end caps are held on with 4 screws. My grips have weighted ends secured with one screw. I attached photos of my grips along with a photo of the 4 screw end cap shown in the installation instructions.

Has anyone found a throttle boss that will fit grips like mine?

Thanks,

Paul

I texted Papa Zook who built this trike and he told me the grips were the Goldstrike brand. I went to the GS web page and found the part I needed.

Thanks Randall!

oep5905434_317593a0f55317dc1d26f016736c0c4c448248c1.jpg

Those grips are the foam Grip Puppies, not the Gold Strike grips that we normally install on the DCT conversions.. I was going off your text to me regarding the trike you bought from our customer and didn't notice the photo. We do stock the Gold Strike grips and the Throttle Wings if you need a set.

Personally, I like the Throttle Rocker. It uses a Velcro strap besides friction to hold it in place. I had one in my GL1500 for a couple years as well as my GL1800 since I bought it. And I use it over a foam grip cover. I have it installed almost all the way towards the end of the grip and it seems to stay in place. I had tried the Crampbuster one and it just wouldn't stay in place and would rotate on the grip. I realize that these aren't as slick or integrated as one mounted in end of the throttle but the Throttle Rocker makes a great substitute.

https://www.throttlerocker.com/product/tr-ii-hook-loop-right-side/

Personally, I like the Throttle Rocker. It uses a Velcro strap besides friction to hold it in place. I had one in my GL1500 for a couple years as well as my GL1800 since I bought it. And I use it over a foam grip cover. I have it installed almost all the way towards the end of the grip and it seems to stay in place. I had tried the Crampbuster one and it just wouldn't stay in place and would rotate on the grip. I realize that these aren't as slick or integrated as one mounted in end of the throttle but the Throttle Rocker makes a great substitute.

https://www.throttlerocker.com/product/tr-ii-hook-loop-right-side/

Last week while taking a break from a riding course I picked up this throttle boss. It seemed kind of cheap compared to the ones on the Harleys. I suppose I will install it while I do more homework on the alternatives. Can't go too wrong for 10.00

Attachments

• IMG_0552.jpg
    IMG_0552.jpg
    987.4 KB · Views: 40
Last week while taking a break from a riding course I picked up this throttle boss. It seemed kind of cheap compared to the ones on the Harleys. I suppose I will install it while I do more homework on the alternatives. Can't go too wrong for 10.00

Many years ago I had one like that on my 1200 Goldwing. It worked just fine. Sometimes we don't need to spend a lot of $$$$ to get the job done!

Here is what I am going with for now. I wrapped the grip puppies with gaffers tape before installing the throttle boss.

IMG_0565.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0566.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0567.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0568.jpg

I’ve been using one of those on all my bikes for more years than I can remember works great. 👌👌..

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png