Higher ratio crown wheel and pinion

Check out the Tech sticky thread: http://www.triketalk.com/forum/threads/35579-Tech-Tech-Tech-or-So-you-want-to-build-a-trike on page 5 Rex discusses R&P configs.

The Samba is a good VW site for all things VW: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/

You will need to start with the serial # of the transaxle to determine what you have now. This is assuming that it has never been modified, a rare creature these days.

Spend some time reading the older posts here and you will pick up a lot of info. The R&P issue has been discussed in the last year.

My tech thread is a bit messed up.

I will jump over there and fix a few pics so it makes sense.

Ok so as far as R&P goes there were 3 different ratios in common use in the USA.

61 to mid 66 with 4.375 and swing axles.

Mid 66 to 68 with 4.12 and swing axles.

Then the 69 and up IRS double side cover with 4.12 ratio

The last few years was a single side cover with 3.88 final gear. But 4th was lower. Same rpm on highway but bigger 1,2,3

So which trans do you have?

The marketing term "freeway flyer" is not a certain definition......more of a deception.

But in a very general way it means an up geared box. Typically made from a combination of stock parts.

So if you are looking you must ask all the right tech questions so you know what you are getting.

For the last couple years I have used Rotella T6 in the colder months and 20/50 in the warmer months

(don't remember the brand but i Make sure it has a higher number on the ZDDP)

I add a ZDDP additive also. Again don't remember the brand

I looked it up and i do not think I am overdoing the ZDDP

I had a IRA trans built for my swing axle using a 3.88 R&P and a .082 4th gear. The .082 is out of a bus and higher then the standard IRA 4th gear. I believe that is the highest combination you can make using stock parts.

Yes basically it now a days.

There was one other 4th, but rare to find.

You can swap a lot of parts around in a double side cover case, early or late.

Most (like above) are the same 1st and 2nd

The diff unit that the ring bolts to is different.

Early had a 6 bolt crown.

At 67 they went to an 8 bolt.

Here in the states if you want to convert an irs to a swing you need a diff from a 67 or 68 box.

In Europe and other countries they had the swing much later in years.

And odd engine combinations.

The late swings from there are probably 8 bolt.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sammybo

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sammybo
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png