Hot Rotors After New Pads

There were no suspected brake issues when stored away for the winter. Took a 4700 mile trip in July with no issues. All issues started when new pads installed. Dirt on pistons when I pushed in?

Don’t know but shame on me for not cleaning/checking before pushing in. If a rebuild kit was available I’d do both calipers. Today I’m taking off the hoses and see what happens. If it’s hoses shame on me for not doing sooner. Still believe that if I can push in pistons it’s not the hose. Trying to remain objective but it’s certainly getting frustrating. Have a trip planned in August and at this point I’m losing faith in TriGlide. Worst case I’ll just have to take the FLH.

Took off hoses. Maybe slightly less drag. But I don’t think it is bad hoses.Bleed and flush again.

test ride. Seat of pants feels better. Fuel readout seems better. Temp gun after 25 mile test reads 80/90 had one spot 107. Further testing to follow,Just beat the rain home.

Had that issue with my scooter. Rear brake lock up . Relieved pressure at master banjo ,all was ok . Replaced the rear master , now all is even bester.

Took off hoses. Maybe slightly less drag. But I don’t think it is bad hoses.Bleed and flush again.

test ride. Seat of pants feels better. Fuel readout seems better. Temp gun after 25 mile test reads 80/90 had one spot 107. Further testing to follow,Just beat the rain home.

I had an issue with my '99 150. Drove me nuts till I replaced the brake hoses. Outwardly they looked fine but they had collapsed internally. HD brake line, front,41800343 FLRT, 41800183 FLFCUTG. BRAKE LINE FRONT WITH CIRCUIT MANIFOLD 41800184.

Called dealership yesterday $400 ish for hoses. Still don’t believe hoses bad. I can push pistons in by hand too easily. Don’t have an idea why it’s ok now. I’ll continue to ride and monitor. Bleeding and flushing had been done by the pump and release method. Yesterday after line removal I had to borrow and use a vacuum bleeder. If it’s pressure being trapped over time by bad hoses the issue will rear its ugly head again. After line removal and reinstalling I did get what seemed like a large amount of air from the rear circuit. Brakes aren’t spongy but the front seems less firm? Trike stops fine. Was there something blocking front circuits causing lever to feel firmer before? I’m still guessing. Lots of comments and videos showing bad lines and I know it can happen but I’ve been doing brake jobs since the early 70’s and I’ve personally yet to experience that. Brake fluid hadn’t turned to jelly as multiple videos show that can happen as well but again I’ve never seen it yet. My best guess would be I did have a piston dragging and multiple cleaning and bleeding it finally is free.

I had some issues on my 14 , replaced the rotors, took the calipers off cleaned then wit a toothbrush and small cylinder brush… it warped the rotors. Had the rotors turned just enough to get them straight. Cleaned again. Then I never had any issue after that. The braking system on the 21 is so much stronger but I dread the Day i need to bleed the system with the linked and ABS system. I probably will have the dealer do it or somewhere with the proper tools.

I’m not a fan of linked brakes. The newer linked abs are even worse. Mine are linked non abs.

Out for a ride Today. MPG is as normal as it’s ever been. Right rotor hotter than Left. Temps on left 107 temps on right still 120/130. So I’m saying I guess I still have some drag. It does seem to rule out master cylinder and upper hose. Could still be the right half of lower hose. I’m going to reclean right pistons and see.

Out for a ride Today. MPG is as normal as it’s ever been. Right rotor hotter than Left. Temps on left 107 temps on right still 120/130. So I’m saying I guess I still have some drag. It does seem to rule out master cylinder and upper hose. Could still be the right half of lower hose. I’m going to reclean right pistons and see.
I just don't think those are high temps ? take your car for a ride see what they are, I bet the rotors would have to be in 4-500 degree range to warp the rotors? watch any type of racing motorcycle or car the rotors will glow red there well over a 1000 degrees . Thats my thought.

I think it’s as normal as it will get. Riding with a friend who has a 2 wheel FlH 30ish miles
His rotors stone cold. Mine 120/130. Design on the 6 piston caliper is a factor I guess.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png