I m thinking about getting a trike, and I have questions.

May 11, 2014
Wisconsin
I have been riding a V Star 1100 for 4 years, and would like to get a trike. My wife needs a better seat for comfort. I like the looks of my bike and like how reliable it is. I have a few friends who have VW trikes, they love them. I think they are cool, but my wife likes the looks of the Harley Tri glides. I cant afford a Tri Glide, but I think I could build a trike that would be comfortable and look cool. I would like to know what you guys think would be a good choice for me? Do I build a VW trike, or do I try to build a trike out of my V Star? I have also thought about getting a front wheel drive car and making a trike out of it, but I think they would be hard to make cool. But I like how reliable they can be.

So this is what I am up against, and look forward to hearing what you guys have to say. Thank you

Re: I m thinking about getting a trike, and I have questions.

Depends on how handy you are. I have a TriGlide and its nice to sit back and let the clowns at HD take care of issues. I also have a VW. You really need to be hands on with that. Being my first VW, I am still learning plenty.

If you like your V Star so much, why not trike it? You should be able to find another seat that would make your wife happy too.

Nobody can tell you what to do. It basically comes down to how much money you want to spend, your mechanical abilities, and what feels good for you. Good luck with whatever you choose to do. No one here ever regrets triking their bikes. We love 'em.:)

Yup, VWs require some maintenance, frequent oil changes, valve adjustments, tune ups, clutch adjustments, brake adjustments. It helps if you can do those things yourself but there are shops that will do it for you for a price. Keep the maintenance up and they are very dependable engines, the tran-axles are bulletproof. Parts are still easy to find and not terribly expensive.

I like my conversion but miss my two wheeler for just me. wish I had thought about the v.w. trike build before now. I will be looking for a Harley as soon as I get this trike paid for.

I'm with you Tom W. I miss my 2wheels. But if I got another one the wife said she wouldn't ride with me. O well!! 2 wheel is more comfortable. But 3 is sooo much more stable. Just put 200mi on mine yesterday trying to break it in since my total rebuild.

Who builds a good car? They are all good.
Who builds a good Trike ? Same answer!
A good trike is only as good as it's installer.

Yup, VWs require some maintenance, frequent oil changes, valve adjustments, tune ups, clutch adjustments, brake adjustments. It helps if you can do those things yourself but there are shops that will do it for you for a price. Keep the maintenance up and they are very dependable engines, the tran-axles are bulletproof. Parts are still easy to find and not terribly expensive.

What he said, and this...

For me, half the fun is keeping it up. Tinkering with the trike can be almost as relaxing as riding it, and it's kinda neat to stand back and see what you can do if you put your mind to it.

IMG_9311.jpg

As for myself, I love building my trikes, however when they are finished I like to ride and not work on them, especially on the side of the road. Keeping my trikes clean and normal maintenance is enough for me, cheers cave.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stockville69

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stockville69
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png