Just A Head's Up

FRR

Oct 12, 2012
Batavia Ohio
I'm sure most of you folks know this, but the handlebar switches in the Goldwing are not the best quality and often have issues because of the thick grease that is used on them. Just be very careful using the mute, or reverse, or cruise buttons if your bike if left in a cold place during winter. If they stick you may not get them to release until Spring, and that is after using lots of electric component cleaner.

I brought my Wing back from Florida a couple of weeks ago and it had been in my trailer for 1 1/2 days at temperatures in the mid 20's. When I rolled it out, I inadvertently put it in reserve and had a heck of a time getting it to release. I usually spray cleaner in those switches every 3 or 4 months, but cold weather really can make the problem worse. This problem isn't necessarily only an issue with older Wings either. I've owned 9 of these bikes and all of them had this tendency. I'm leaving well enough alone until Spring before I touch another one of those buttons. Just a heads up to some of our newer owners.

My "emergency" flashers on my bike won't shut off..........I'm waiting till spring to even worry about it.... Thanks for the heads up!

Ronnie

Yes, that is the fourth switch that riders need to be careful of. I had forgotten to include that one. Often times it is the worst since many folks seldom use it at all.

Bob, if there is a 50/50 percent chance of putting them back together right, how can there be a 90 percent chance you won't? Wouldn't it be a 50 % chance you wouldn't instead of 90? (Aren't statistics fun?)

Whenever, I have a sticky switch I use a good grade Silicone spray. It has worked well for me for years on all my rides. Just be sure a plastic safe product like Liquid Wrench Silicone Spray.

Bob, if there is a 50/50 percent chance of putting them back together right, how can there be a 90 percent chance you won't? Wouldn't it be a 50 % chance you wouldn't instead of 90? (Aren't statistics fun?)

Its the same when the Wife sends me out to the store to pick something up for her...

And theres two similar items on the shelf...So i have a 50/50 chance of bringing the right one home......But a 90% probability i'm wrong...

Done that 90% many a time.....:cxtv:

Its the same when the Wife sends me out to the store to pick something up for her...

And theres two similar items on the shelf...So i have a 50/50 chance of bringing the right one home......But a 90% probability i'm wrong...

Done that 90% many a time.....:cxtv:

That's a good one! I think we all have experienced that! Sometimes more like 100%, right?

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HomeFree

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HomeFree
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png