Loud Shifts

Hey there all, I'm new to the Tri-Glide Trike riding world and I was wondering if its normal for these machines to make loud shifts once they are warmed up? Or does it just sound loud because of the sound getting trapped around, and under all of the body work? The shifting feels normal too. I'm riding a 2016 TG Ultra 6 speed with only 17k on it.....Thanks

Hey there all, I'm new to the Tri-Glide Trike riding world and I was wondering if its normal for these machines to make loud shifts once they are warmed up? Or does it just sound loud because of the sound getting trapped around, and under all of the body work? The shifting feels normal too. I'm riding a 2016 TG Ultra 6 speed with only 17k on it.....Thanks

Rich .......Welcome To Trike-Talk...:wave4::wave4:.....Loud shifts especially from neutral to first are part of the Harley charm.....So yes it is normal...

If you are new to HD you will find the "clunk" from neutral to first very common. But from 2nd up it should snick into gear, more or less. "Loud shifts" are abnormal running up through the gears. Check the linkage and make sure it moves freely and dosnt bind. Check your clutch adjustment also if you have a cable non hydraulic clutch.

Welcome to Trike Talk, listen to the advice already given

Clutch adjustment and warm up before you head out, Pull the clutch in after counting to 3

You will be good to go

Have a great time and don't worry :D

Welcome to Trike Talk, listen to the advice already given

Clutch adjustment and warm up before you head out, Pull the clutch in after counting to 3

You will be good to go

Have a great time and don't worry :D

Jack, how long do you warm up? If it's REAL cold out I can understand. In normal weather even at idle for 3 to 4 minutes the only part that will get warm is the heads. Been riding for 57 years. Once the oil pressure is up (seconds) shift out of neutral and ease down the driveway. Better yet if the clunk really bothers you start up in gear and then head down the driveway.

I use BelRay 85W140 tranny oil in my transmission and my regular shifts are smoother than when I used Syn-3. As far as starting up and shifting into 1st the "clunk" doesn't bother me. I'm always in a warm climate so when I first start the bike I let it idle just long enough for me to put my gloves on and turn the cruise on, then I clunk it into 1st and go.

Jack, how long do you warm up? If it's REAL cold out I can understand. In normal weather even at idle for 3 to 4 minutes the only part that will get warm is the heads. Been riding for 57 years. Once the oil pressure is up (seconds) shift out of neutral and ease down the driveway. Better yet if the clunk really bothers you start up in gear and then head down the driveway.

A good 5 minutes, the engine management will kick on, then u are good to go

After a hard run, I use a large floor fan from an old swamp cooler to remove the heat for about an hour

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png