Perfect host bike for a trike conversion-cheap

Feb 25, 2013
casper,wy. usa
I seen it yesterday:

There is a super nice black 1993 Electra glide at cycle works In Casper, Wyoming (307-234-6277) with 8000 miles on it for $9000.00.

it stuns me when I see old bikes with no mileage.

This guy couldn't even have worn out a front tire in all these years.

What a perfect candidate to convert to a trike also and if it were on my doorstep that's just what I would do....

It would still be worth every cent in resale value too when I was done with it.

High book on it is $12,000.00.

Hell, I cant afford a new Harley tri-glide and I figure I would have about $19,000 in it all together including purchase price.

Of course I would do the conversion myself so that's an added benefit.

Beats hell out $42,000 for a new tri-glide and it would give years of trouble free service just with regular maintenance.

This machine wouldn't have all the computer trash on it and would think it is still carbureted so a regular guy could actually fix anything on it in his garage without paying a parts changer at the dealership.

good simple old school bike and it has a single cam engine so you get the old school sound, Which the double cam engines simply cant mimic.

It would have an electronic ignition contained in one simple box mounted to the front of the frame and it's an evo which was built when Harley was still competing with the jap bikes for longevity instead of concentrating strictly on performance and screwing up everything in the process.

IF I were to want a bit more performance I would add an E-27 cam if doesn't already have one on it, Many people did back then. That's it, That's about all I would do. My guess is it's an 88 inch motor? Cant remember when they started the 96" motor?

They didn't use fuel injection until 1996.

I am old school and know that the more you do to a Harley engine, The more you will be forced to do to a Harley engine in the name of performance.

Myself, im a fan of longevity over ultra performance, Don't worry, It's plenty fast to kill you.

I guess im so used to doing my own work I didn't think about it at the time I wrote the post on the bike.

Ron, at cycle works is certified on motor trike conversions.

So far I think he has done Honda wing but I would think a Harley would be a fresh perspective?

just an idea?

I have no clue what he would want to do the conversion, I'm not up on motor trike conversions or kits.

I'm with you on scoring an old school "base" bike for use in a trike conversion. A low mileage platform is another major bonus if one decides to go in that direction.

Things are a lot more "end user" friendly from a mechanical point, than on the fuel injection/computerized machines. Not to mention more affordable as well, over buying a factory built trike.

With all you've done, are you contemplating throwing in the towel so to speak on your current trike and starting over Paul?

(If so, I'd try haggling on the $9K price as these bikes are currently on average in the $5~6K range in my neck of the woods...)

I'm with you on scoring an old school "base" bike for use in a trike conversion. A low mileage platform is another major bonus if one decides to go in that direction.

Things are a lot more "end user" friendly from a mechanical point, than on the fuel injection/computerized machines. Not to mention more affordable as well, over buying a factory built trike.

With all you've done, are you contemplating throwing in the towel so to speak on your current trike and starting over Paul?

(If so, I'd try haggling on the $9K price as these bikes are currently on average in the $5~6K range in my neck of the woods...)

No, No, I'm not about to let go of my old tour glide:

Just thought someone might be looking for a host bike.

the 93 Electra Glide would have the 80 ci engine. A good strong engine, but like my 87, would not be geared ideally for trike. If I were starting mine over, I would put in a Baker 6 speed with reverse gear. That overdrive 6th gear would help a lot with highway speeds with that low rev engine. IMO.

the 93 Electra Glide would have the 80 ci engine. A good strong engine, but like my 87, would not be geared ideally for trike. If I were starting mine over, I would put in a Baker 6 speed with reverse gear. That overdrive 6th gear would help a lot with highway speeds with that low rev engine. IMO.

Thanks I wasn't sure if the 93 had a 80 or 88" engine?

Im still running the 80" engine with a mild E-27 cam, It's a single cam engine and easy to replace the standard cam.

Still running the 5 speed stock transmission and stock sprocket gear ranges out here in the high mountain dessert country.

works just fine and I don't have to shift down for every hill.

Nothing wrong with your set up, I just didn't find it necessary.

top speed 90-95 mph and still have the torque to do the take offs etc.

If someone has real life experience with the 80" 6 speed on hills I would like to hear it?

I don't want to put in an ignition enhancer like my buddy had to do with his 103" Tri-glide to keep from lugging it because he was to lazy to downshift?

When he was running cruise control my old tour glide would walk up his exhaust pipe on a mild hill every time and causing me to back out of cruise.

Did what your talking about..93 FLHS got 15k in it all rebuilt runs strong. Got the 80" in it with a Crane Fireball 300-2B for low end torq. 5 speed with mechanical reverse. Now for speed ya I am not going 90 or a 100 out there but it will cruise 75 all day long with burst's to 85. Keeps up with the twin cams in our group and runs a lot cooler. Any way if someone is thinking of taking an older Evo and making a trike do it. Makes a nice trike easy to work on and a hoot to ride most new people have no idea what it is new old what? :Drsz_img_0599.jpg

Did what your talking about..93 FLHS got 15k in it all rebuilt runs strong. Got the 80" in it with a Crane Fireball 300-2B for low end torq. 5 speed with mechanical reverse. Now for speed ya I am not going 90 or a 100 out there but it will cruise 75 all day long with burst's to 85. Keeps up with the twin cams in our group and runs a lot cooler. Any way if someone is thinking of taking an older Evo and making a trike do it. Makes a nice trike easy to work on and a hoot to ride most new people have no idea what it is new old what? :DView attachment 47087

Your right about most people not knowing the difference, I tell them my bike is 27 years old and they are astounded.

You meet the best people on an old Harley!

Most often they even know something about what they speak of and can fix what ails them.

Goes with the territory!

T2.jpg

Paul, out of curiosity do you know if they sold it yet?

Not interested in another project myself but interested in how quick it sold, or not, at the $9K asking price...:Shrug:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png