putting together parts an ideas for vw build?

I picked up a 69 vw trike from a friend and want to hear any tips or any idea that might keep me from screwing this up. One thing I see is that some vw trikes run hand throttle and clutch, and some use foot controls. Is one better than the other, cheaper than the other, easy than the other? I know I will have ????'s. Thanx for your help.

Everything is adaptable! The vw stuff is simple enough that most anything can be done if you want to badly enough.
That being said... The most common way is a motorcycle twist throttle, foot clutch, and a stick shift either on the left hand side or center mounted between your legs.
With the std vw parts or aftermarket dune buggy parts.
If you want a hand clutch you will have to go hydraulic. Get a buggy clutch slave and find a motorcycle clutch lever with a large enough displacement to work it. A motorcycle unit this large is hard to find.
If you want to foot shift it you will have to make your own. I know of no available to purchase shifter to do this. I have seen it done and even considered it myself.
I had to make all my own clutch and shifter and pondered many different ideas. But in the end I ended up with foot clutch and left hand shift. All hand made though because my tranny is upside down and backward.

Everything is adaptable! The vw stuff is simple enough that most anything can be done if you want to badly enough.
That being said... The most common way is a motorcycle twist throttle, foot clutch, and a stick shift either on the left hand side or center mounted between your legs.
With the std vw parts or aftermarket dune buggy parts.
If you want a hand clutch you will have to go hydraulic. Get a buggy clutch slave and find a motorcycle clutch lever with a large enough displacement to work it. A motorcycle unit this large is hard to find.
If you want to foot shift it you will have to make your own. I know of no available to purchase shifter to do this. I have seen it done and even considered it myself.
I had to make all my own clutch and shifter and pondered many different ideas. But in the end I ended up with foot clutch and left hand shift. All hand made though because my tranny is upside down and backward.

I plan on shifting between my legs so I was not sure if one way was better than another(foot vs. hand). I have seen a foot brake set up for sale but I guess I need to make anything else. I was thinking one way, Throttle & Brake with the right foot and Clutch with the left vs. Right hand Throttle left hand Clutch right foot brake? Does anyone have either of these set ups or can anyone talk me why one might suck more than the other? Thank you for your insight snusnu.

Mine is set up right hand throttle, right foot brake, left foot clutch, left hand shifter behind left leg. Not the easiest to operate, but looks cool doing it.
Think of a good size gas tank. My tank is too small. I get maybe 22 mpg.

Mine is the same as above.

To me there is really only three functional configurations.
1) all car style. Right foot gas and brake, left foot clutch. Hand shifter wherever you can reach it comfortable.

2) all motorcycle style. Right hand throttle, left hand clutch, right foot brake, left foot shift.

3) or the hybrid I think of as usable. Right hand throttle, left hand shift, right foot brake, left foot clutch.

I would not want to have to turn loose of the throttle control to shift right handed. You can't clutch with the left hand and shift with left hand at the same time. So in my opinion some options are ruled out.

Thanx guys, those configuration seem to make sense. Now I have to figure out what one is best for me. Good advise.

So here goes another ?. I plan on using an old truck bed tool box as a trunk and a large bench seat for the wife and kids. I will be sitting in a bucket seat in front of them. There are 2 ways I was thinking of doing this. 1) mount the box over the motor a mount the seat over the rear wheels. 2) Mount the box over the wheels and mount the seat in front of them. 1) would be a higher center of gravity but shorter trike. 2) would be lower center of gravity but longer trike. I like the looks of a shorter trike but like good handling more.????

I am in the finishing stages of building a three person trike. I realized early on that the trike would need to be longer to seat three. I didn't want my family sitting two feet higher than I would be so they would be blown around by the wind all day and the rear seats easy to get in and out of. I did a lot of thinking on how to get the rear seats down to the same level as the drivers seat and also wanted them to have room for their feet so they wouldn't be cramped. Taking all of that into consideration I built the trike with a long wheelbase and it all worked out fine, it steers good and goes down the road straight and is very comfortable and safe for everyone. It has a right foot gas pedal and brake, a left foot clutch, a center shift and a right hand front brake lever on the handlebars. The gas tank is directly behind the rear seats. It's drives like a VW bug with handlebars instead of a steering wheel. I have some pictures posted. It took a lot of extra work to build it the way I did but it was worth the effort. You family will thank you.ThumbUpIM000923.JPG

I am in the finishing stages of building a three person trike. I realized early on that the trike would need to be longer to seat three. I didn't want my family sitting two feet higher than I would be so they would be blown around by the wind all day and the rear seats easy to get in and out of. I did a lot of thinking on how to get the rear seats down to the same level as the drivers seat and also wanted them to have room for their feet so they wouldn't be cramped. Taking all of that into consideration I built the trike with a long wheelbase and it all worked out fine, it steers good and goes down the road straight and is very comfortable and safe for everyone. It has a right foot gas pedal and brake, a left foot clutch, a center shift and a right hand front brake lever on the handlebars. The gas tank is directly behind the rear seats. It's drives like a VW bug with handlebars instead of a steering wheel. I have some pictures posted. It took a lot of extra work to build it the way I did but it was worth the effort. You family will thank you.ThumbUpView attachment 19530

Enjoyed the Pics of Your Trike.....ThumbUp

Thanks. I have had to do some major modifications since those pictures. It's a long story but I was persuaded to put a steering wheel on the trike. It has a VW steering box, I had to plumb the front brakes into the VW master cylinder and do some re-wiring but it turned out fine. Now it steers like a car with power steering.ThumbUp100_0993.JPG

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stockville69

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stockville69
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png