rcpaints

Fork extensions don't improve the ride or keep it from bottoming out but they will raise the front end to help with ground clearance and make steering a weee bit easier.

Hello, has anyone tried the fork extensions on a Goldwing GL 1800? If so does it give a smoother ride on a trike, as it raises the front end.

rcpaints:xzqxz:

Howdy Jerry. Welcome to Trike Talk.

Does your 07 Hannigan have a rake kit installed? If so, you most likely already have the fork extensions. I have never seen a GL1800 rake kit without them. Front suspension is a sore point with our trikes. Short of spending the $$$ to upgrade the front end the best thing I have found it putting an Avon Cobra Trike tire on the front. Many of us have done this with very good result. :xszpv::xszpv:

Good luck solving your issue.

Mine has the extensions as well but still left the trike tilted toward the front some, added race tech springs and gold valve kit and it leveled it back out while making for a better ride.

- - - Updated - - -

My trike had 2.5" extensions with six degree rake when installed. When I had Traxxion installed they changed to one inch which left front end low. (I know this because I compared pictures from just prior to just after the Traxxion install. I didn't realize they had changed it.) Went back to original extensions and trike rides level.

Personally, I think it improved the ride by shifting weight rearward which unloaded the front springs some allowing smoother ride. YMMV.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me more about the fork extensions, maybe a link or something, Thanks

Fork extensions screw into the top of the fork tubes to extend the length of the forks to compensate for rake kits which push the front forward, thus lowering the front end of the trike. Depending on which conversion is being discussed, different length fork extensions can be used to return the trike to a level condition. The Road Smith I have, for instance, rides higher that say a CSC because of the rear suspension design. Therefore, where I needed and 2 1/2" extension to level my Road Smith, a CSC owner might only require a 1 1/2".

I'm not sure if the trike kit mfg decides on how much extension to use or if the installers are the ones making the decision. Usually, I think, all rake kits include some extension at the time of installation.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Busymo
Back