Recommendation for Using CarPlay w/ out Sena on Half Helmet?

JerseyGirlRider

20+ Posts
Jan 9, 2024
Silver Spring, MD
Hey. I like to use CarPlay for music and navigation on the bike. I have the WHIM installed and use the Harley Sena headset with my full face, modular helmet. Works great. But as it is getting warmer, I’m looking for an alternative that will allow me to still use my CarPlay with a half helmet. I know the issue is an Apple issue as accessing CarPlay requires a microphone.

So just curious if anyone has found an alternative or hack outside of just bringing the Sena and throwing it in the trunk 🤣, which allows me to listen to music but not hear the directions or communicate with my husband while we are riding together.

Thanks.

Take it off to let more air into your modular helmet. Do not go to a half helmet unless you're willing to sacrifice the bottom half of your head and face to the road surface.

Hey. I like to use CarPlay for music and navigation on the bike. I have the WHIM installed and use the Harley Sena headset with my full face, modular helmet. Works great. But as it is getting warmer, I’m looking for an alternative that will allow me to still use my CarPlay with a half helmet. I know the issue is an Apple issue as accessing CarPlay requires a microphone.

So just curious if anyone has found an alternative or hack outside of just bringing the Sena and throwing it in the trunk 🤣, which allows me to listen to music but not hear the directions or communicate with my husband while we are riding together.

Thanks.

You can install your headset on your half helmet. Wife and I use Cardo. We have two sets of helmets - half helmet has a set.

Thanks. Sena doesn’t really have a decent install option for the half helmet. How do you both like the Cardo, which I know does? Thanks.

We really like our Cardo - use them for different operations. I decided to not go with the WHIM. So, for short or local trips, we use our Cardo. A number of folks in our chapter use wireless, so we can connect.

For long trips and those out of town, we use our wired headsets. We prefer this so we can use our CB radio. For the overnight trips, it seems that all of us have CBs.

I considered going with the WHIM - if I do, I can use the Cardo - but, it is mono. Plus, I will also lose the wired capability.

Thanks.

I use the wired set up just fine with my half helmet... probably would work similarly with WHIM.

I installed a headset (with microphone to utilize CarPlay) and removed the internal speakers (just cut them off) and set the BOOM system to play music, coms, CB through the external speakers.

CarPlay, Siri, CB all work as well as with my full face.

i just don’t hear everything as clearly cause you’ve got wind noise in play, but that’s the small sacrifice you pay to go with the half helmet.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png