Recommended Fuel Grade

JTJersey

800+ Posts
Gold Member
Jul 2, 2021
Millville NJ USA
I've been feeding my '21 114ci M8 Freewheeler Premium gas (93-94 octane) for the last 26,000 miles, but I'm wondering if I'm wasting my money. I try to use busy gas stations so that there's a good chance that other vehicles are using Premium as well and I'm not just pumping 2 gallons of Regular before the hose starts giving me the Premium. The manual, as usual, is kind of vague on this. Discounting that the East Coast is going to be 10% Ethanol what do y'all use in your trikes?

I have been running 91 octane alcohol free mostly, when I cannot find it I run 91-93 10 percent alcohol

One advantage we have is the real time knock sensors, so I do not spend a lot of time worrying about octane levels

I've been feeding my '21 114ci M8 Freewheeler Premium gas (93-94 octane) for the last 26,000 miles, but I'm wondering if I'm wasting my money. I try to use busy gas stations so that there's a good chance that other vehicles are using Premium as well and I'm not just pumping 2 gallons of Regular before the hose starts giving me the Premium. The manual, as usual, is kind of vague on this. Discounting that the East Coast is going to be 10% Ethanol what do y'all use in your trikes?

About a year ago they built this brand new Exxon Station right down the street from us. We got our Trike this past January and have only used this station (Premium 93 Octane) The only thing that I don't ever do is gas up when there is a Fuel Delivery Tanker unloading. The tanker will stir up the settlement from the bottom of the storage tank. No matter which gas you choose to use I don't think you're really wasting money. Even a 20 cent difference on an empty tank fill up is only a $1.00 difference

Screen Shot 2023-10-06 at 4.19.01 PM.jpg

About a year ago they built this brand new Exxon Station right down the street from us. We got our Trike this past January and have only used this station (Premium 93 Octane) The only thing that I don't ever do is gas up when there is a Fuel Delivery Tanker unloading. The tanker will stir up the settlement from the bottom of the storage tank. No matter which gas you choose to use I don't think you're really wasting money. Even a 20 cent difference on an empty tank fill up is only a $1.00 difference

View attachment 115056

Out here in my neighborhood (Jersey)…It’s at least 80 cents per gallon per each increment..87–399….89-479…93-519……So from 87 to 93 it’s a dollar forty more for each gallon…. but I don’t buy gas for a price. When I need gas. I’m pulling in where I need it I don’t buy by price….And just to add..And I told this before.. With all of my motorcycle trikes ‘ I’m on my 3rd Triglide I would only use 93 done that for years then a while ago, I painted the tips of my stock pipes red and I’ve noticed that they have black suit on them so just for laughs I started filling up with 89 octane on my seven or eight thank full and my mileage went from 35/38 to 40/43 and also in the same exact roads I can leave it in Six gear where it would lug in 6Th …. just my observations yours might vary….

The only thing that I don't ever do is gas up when there is a Fuel Delivery Tanker unloading. The tanker will stir up the settlement from the bottom of the storage tank.

Unless it is an old gas station with metal tanks any “sediment stir up” would be extremely minimal and would have little to no impact to your fuel system.

Just like all vehicles have a fuel filter, all fueling stations are required to filter fuel from the tank to the pump to prevent anything remotely getting into your tank.

That being said I’m sure on a rare occasion something could get past all the filters but again that would be on a rare occasion and not something to be concerned with.

So if the tanker truck is on site filling the tank and you choose to delay your fill up you’re likely just wasting your time, but to each his own.

I only run Magnum Hi-Test. It's hard to find just like Nan the love of my life. The station phases in and out so ya gotta be ready to exit off when it appears. It can only be found at one filling station, along one stretch of highway- only in the Twighlight Zone.

Out here in my neighborhood (Jersey)…It’s at least 80 cents per gallon per each increment..87–399….89-479…93-519……So from 87 to 93 it’s a dollar forty more for each gallon…. but I don’t buy gas for a price. When I need gas. I’m pulling in where I need it I don’t buy by price….And just to add..And I told this before.. With all of my motorcycle trikes ‘ I’m on my 3rd Triglide I would only use 93 done that for years then a while ago, I painted the tips of my stock pipes red and I’ve noticed that they have black suit on them so just for laughs I started filling up with 89 octane on my seven or eight thank full and my mileage went from 35/38 to 40/43 and also in the same exact roads I can leave it in Six gear where it would lug in 6Th …. just my observations yours might vary….

Wow rhino ... you guys need to move out of Jersey. Gas here this morning is 87-$2.82 ... 89-$3.10 ... 93 - $3.20 so the difference between 89 & 93 is $.38cents. Respectively your gas is much higher although the difference between 89 & 93 by you is the same $.40cents ... a basic $2.00 difference on a fill up. Not really a big savings, not really about the money

Unless it is an old gas station with metal tanks any “sediment stir up” would be extremely minimal and would have little to no impact to your fuel system.

Just like all vehicles have a fuel filter, all fueling stations are required to filter fuel from the tank to the pump to prevent anything remotely getting into your tank.

That being said I’m sure on a rare occasion something could get past all the filters but again that would be on a rare occasion and not something to be concerned with.

So if the tanker truck is on site filling the tank and you choose to delay your fill up you’re likely just wasting your time, but to each his own.

Maybe I'm still old school about filling up when there's a tanker unloading ... So for 40+ years I worked for a trucking company in SoFlo. I had 170 Concrete Mixers, 6 Block Trucks, 60 Company Cars and 3 Cement Tankers at 13 locations over a 130 mile 4 county operation. Each location had both Fuel & Gas above ground tanks and I literally bought thousands of gallons of Gas & Fuel every single day. I subcontracted with Eagle Petroleum (hauler) for Fuel delivery and purchases from both Port Everglades & Port Of Palm Beach ... all their drivers always told us "never fill up when a tanker is unloading" Now I've been retired for the past 5 years but maybe old habits die hard. Maybe they have a new method now

Wow rhino ... you guys need to move out of Jersey. Gas here this morning is 87-$2.82 ... 89-$3.10 ... 93 - $3.20 so the difference between 89 & 93 is $.38cents. Respectively your gas is much higher although the difference between 89 & 93 by you is the same $.40cents ... a basic $2.00 difference on a fill up. Not really a big savings, not really about the money

Thats just the gas station in town .....And the only one in town...So i'll pony up a little more for the convenience....Besides i pay it with a credit card that i found in a parking lot.:D

Goldwing's (Honda) claims, to use LOW TEST fuel and NOT to use HIGH TEST.................I have a 2010 NOW and used to ride a 2002 and never had any problems use'n LOW TEST.................

Ronnie

10/10/23

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rramo
Back