side to side front wheel play

Jan 11, 2014
orange
i have an odd problem and likely wont word it correctly and perhaps im missing the obvious but its bugging my nerves and OCD, i putzed with it several hours today.

the trike is vw, the front wheel is unknown brand steel rim and spokes aluminum hub, holes for brake rotor on one side, no front brake.

the axle is about 3/4 or 1" i didnt measure it, the forks are a homemade ( not by me ) springer,

the wheel has hub spacers that fit into both sides then when the axle is bolted tight the spacers cant turn,

however here is the issue, there is about 1/8 " side to side play within the hub it appears to be on the hub end spacers im not sure why its limited to about 1/8th the bearings are very low miles but otherwise unknown, no bearing noise no other movement, not a tilt or canter movement just that hair of left to right slide on axle play,

it doesnt matter how much i tighten the axle it does it, so i think okay, if the spacers were 1/6" longer i guess it wouldnt do it, wrong guess i made shims one on each side and it did zero, slop still there,

so is this some way a bad bearing, or the spacer between the bearings inside the hub or what?

any ideas or opinions?

thanks all,

cheers

bats

If it was me, I would pull the wheel out and check the bearings. Could be the bearings have more wear than they should, especially I tightening the axle didn't help at all.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png