Swivel or straight hitch??

Burnerboy

2000+ Posts
Sep 2, 2016
Springfield, Mass. USA
How much does a swivel hitch make a difference??

I've been towing using a straight hitch for years since 2001 and never a problem!

BUT lately I've been hearing the words swivel hitch that many of you have used... How much difference does it really make?? My bike is now triked out, so would a swivel make any difference now??

Ronnie

I was like you and used a straight hitch for years on my bike, never had a problem. In the process of building a trailer for my trike now and planning on using a regular hitch on it simply because I never lean in a curve now and hopefully won't lay it on its' side!!!!

I have a swivel hitch on my trailer simply because it was on there when I was on 2 wheels. I personally don't think there is a need for one on a trike since everything works the same way as on a cage and they don't put them on.

The used trailer I purchased for the trike already had a swivel and I wish it didn't. Going down the road it will rotate to one side instead of staying straight. See no need for it on a trike and the built in swivel of a standard hitch is sufficient for normal use.

The used trailer I purchased for the trike already had a swivel and I wish it didn't. Going down the road it will rotate to one side instead of staying straight. See no need for it on a trike and the built in swivel of a standard hitch is sufficient for normal use.

I purchased a used Lees-ure-lite camper a few years back that had the swivel hitch on it. I converted it to a straight hitch and had them "standing in line" to buy the swivel hitch. They can be rather "pricey" so there is always a market for a used one.

Camping with a Time Out camper with a Trike Shop (now RoadSmith) Runabout from '93 to 2001, and since then with a Bunkhouse behind a GL1500 and now a GL1800. Like a trailer behind a car or truck, never had a need for a swivel hitch on the trike, as they don't lean like a bike. There is a surprising amount of room for side-to-side roll in the hitch and ball combination. If I chanced to buy a trailer with the swivel already on it, I would probably switch to a solid hitch and sell the swivel.

I pulled a Kwik Kamp trailer behind a Voyager VII and never had any negative issues. At the time I was told that the swivel hitch was the safe way to pull in case the trailer started swaying it wouldn’t necessarily make the bike unsteady. Don’t know if that was hype or not but it sounded good at the time and I never got into a problem with the trailer to prove the claim or not. Haven’t pulled anything since but if I did would probably choose the swivel hitch again.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png