This should make you feel good.

ItBeMe

200+ Posts
Sep 12, 2017
Carrollton Ga
This should make you feel good.Venture Williams Down Shift – Tesla is killing motorcyclists.Is the Tesla autopilot software not able to “see” motorcycles? In two recent event involving Tesla the apparent answer to that question is no.In July 2022 the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) sent investigation teams to two crashes where Tesla’s crashed into motorcycles on freeways in the darkness. Both were fatal.The first occurred 4:47 a.m. July 7 on State Route 91, a California freeway. A white Tesla Model Y was traveling east in the high occupancy vehicle lane. Ahead of the Tesla was a rider on a Yamaha V-Star motorcycle.The vehicles collided, and the unidentified motorcyclist was ejected from the Yamaha. He was pronounced dead at the scene by the Fire Department.The second crash happened about 1AM July 24 on Interstate 15 near Draper, Utah. A Tesla Model 3 was behind a Harley-Davidson motorcycle, also in an HOV lane. “The driver of the Tesla did not see the motorcyclist and collided with the back of the motorcycle, which threw the rider from the bike,” the Utah Department of Public Safety said in a prepared statement.The motorcyclist was pronounced died at the scene.From 2016 to now the NHTSA has investigated 39 crashes involving autopilot features 30 of which were Tesla. The Tesla’s involved 19 deaths. My Take – Not sure why it is taking so long to issue a recall for this autopilot feature? Tesla is taking the brunt of the investigations but is that because they are worse than the other manufactures or because there are more Tesla’s on the road.My recommendation…. If you see a Tesla coming up behind you, get out of the way. There is no way to know if the dummy driving the car is on autopilot or not.

This should make you feel good.Venture Williams Down Shift – Tesla is killing motorcyclists.Is the Tesla autopilot software not able to “see” motorcycles? In two recent event involving Tesla the apparent answer to that question is no.In July 2022 the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) sent investigation teams to two crashes where Tesla’s crashed into motorcycles on freeways in the darkness. Both were fatal.The first occurred 4:47 a.m. July 7 on State Route 91, a California freeway. A white Tesla Model Y was traveling east in the high occupancy vehicle lane. Ahead of the Tesla was a rider on a Yamaha V-Star motorcycle.The vehicles collided, and the unidentified motorcyclist was ejected from the Yamaha. He was pronounced dead at the scene by the Fire Department.The second crash happened about 1AM July 24 on Interstate 15 near Draper, Utah. A Tesla Model 3 was behind a Harley-Davidson motorcycle, also in an HOV lane. “The driver of the Tesla did not see the motorcyclist and collided with the back of the motorcycle, which threw the rider from the bike,” the Utah Department of Public Safety said in a prepared statement.The motorcyclist was pronounced died at the scene.From 2016 to now the NHTSA has investigated 39 crashes involving autopilot features 30 of which were Tesla. The Tesla’s involved 19 deaths. My Take – Not sure why it is taking so long to issue a recall for this autopilot feature? Tesla is taking the brunt of the investigations but is that because they are worse than the other manufactures or because there are more Tesla’s on the road.My recommendation…. If you see a Tesla coming up behind you, get out of the way. There is no way to know if the dummy driving the car is on autopilot or not.

People in cars of any make don't see motorcycle's autopilot or not nothing new there...Its just that Teslas and in Particular Non Politician Ethan Musk are the easy targets of the mainstream News Outlets..

It amazes me that ANY vehicle driven on public roads is allowed to have auto-pilot capability. Driving a vehicle requires full attention at all times and I don't understand why this is allowed, along with all of the other distractions (TV, games, etc., etc.). Just my opinion.

Sunman

Sunman I agree. How many pedestrians, bicycle rider and motorcycle riders need to be killed before DOT says enough is enough. That doesn't even count the number of motorists driving these auto pilot cars that are being killed because they are not paying attention. I'm all for innovation but the world should not be the ginny pig.

Me’ I personally think that automatic transmissions’ power steering ‘power brakes should be outlawed and let people get back to the act driving ! That will immediately remove 50% of the nimrods that are on the road today….

Agree 100%, we are living with a new class of idiots that have no clue about how things really work

If it doesn't have a button or a computer screen they are just plain lost, no way to live your life IMO

Just curious.. if one is legally drunk, gets into his auto-pilot car, sets it up while sitting still, puts the vehicle in motion, and the auto-pilot malfunctions causing a crash….will the owner be charged with DWI? He personally, physically was not driving the vehicle when the auto-pilot caused the crash to occur but is merely the passenger…????:Shrug:

Just curious.. if one is legally drunk, gets into his auto-pilot car, sets it up while sitting still, puts the vehicle in motion, and the auto-pilot malfunctions causing a crash….will the owner be charged with DWI? He personally, physically was not driving the vehicle when the auto-pilot caused the crash to occur but is merely the passenger…????:Shrug:

Having an autopilot does not eliminate the need to have a real person keep diligent watch. That's weather in a plane, boat, car, or truck. I know there are some trials going on with pilotless vehicles. I'm very uneasy about that. My last boat had an autopilot. That didn't mean I could be dead drunk or take a snooze while under way. Too many bad variables out there that need human intervention to avoid crashes. I believe setting an autopilot does not eliminate the need to have a competent, sober person keeping watch..... Jim

I may be wrong here but it's my understanding if you are behind the wheel drunk sitting still you can still be charged with DUI.I'm sure there's a bit more to it than that but applying that thought process I would have to say yes.I think it's an intent viewpoint.

I may be wrong here but it's my understanding if you are behind the wheel drunk sitting still you can still be charged with DUI.I'm sure there's a bit more to it than that but applying that thought process I would have to say yes.I think it's an intent viewpoint.

As long as the key in your Procession..And or you have access to it it’s considering intent..

Wait until you have an 80,000 pound Semi on auto pilot coming at you.

Before I retired from Dow chemical (2009), the railroad was talking about using driverless train engines. Our plant manager told the railroad: "There's NO WAY that train will be exchanging cars in our plant". That idea never came to fruition, but I don't know if it was because others complained, too.

PC

it's my understanding if you are behind the wheel drunk sitting still you can still be charged with DUI.

Have heard this before and never thought it was fair. Just because you're in the car while drunk doesn't mean you WILL drive it, only that you COULD. Seems like a good defense attorney should have a heyday with this charge. Or is there another reason?

PC

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png