Tie down forks while hauling?

brianl

300+ Posts
May 16, 2013
leominster, ma. USA
I tow my '97 wing on an open trailer. I have a really heavy duty wheel chock that locks the front wheel into place. I also strap the front wheel so there is no chance it will come loose as well as the rear tires. I recently had both of my forks rebuilt with new seals and progressive springs. Do I need to tie down the front end while hauling my trike or should I just let the forks absorb the ride? I would think that it can't be any worse than if I was actually riding the bike itself. I'd hate to ruin the forks after all the money I just put into them. Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks

I tow my '97 wing on an open trailer. I have a really heavy duty wheel chock that locks the front wheel into place. I also strap the front wheel so there is no chance it will come loose as well as the rear tires. I recently had both of my forks rebuilt with new seals and progressive springs. Do I need to tie down the front end while hauling my trike or should I just let the forks absorb the ride? I would think that it can't be any worse than if I was actually riding the bike itself. I'd hate to ruin the forks after all the money I just put into them. Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks

I do it the same way with my Tri-Glide...
As long as you have the front wheel locked and it doesn't slide side to side i wound't strap the bars .

If your using a "condor" type chock, that's a good thing.
However, rather than strapping the front wheel, I would use soft ties around the lower triple tree plate and ratchet straps. Do not compress the forks more than a couple inches.
Let us know what you think of the Progressive springs.
Thanks

I don't have a wheel chock that locks but I am somewhat of a tie down nut. I do like Dawg suggested with the triple trees but I also tie the front wheel in, and run tie downs from the front crash bars to trailer as well as tie downs from the receiver to each side of the trailer. I make sure the front end has plenty of spring left in them.

I don't have a wheel chock that locks but I am somewhat of a tie down nut. I do like Dawg suggested with the triple trees but I also tie the front wheel in, and run tie downs from the front crash bars to trailer as well as tie downs from the receiver to each side of the trailer. I make sure the front end has plenty of spring left in them.

That's pretty much my practice bike or trike. Securely .... but with room to absorb some harsher bumps passed on by truck or trailer suspension.

Also, straps .... "if 1 is enough, 2 is better".

I have a Big Tex trailer that hauls my Trike. I installed a capture chock over the original floor door, where the rear tires ride I installed tie downs on the floor for tire straps. When I tie down my Trike I capture the front tire then tie it to the front at the chock and the trailers railing (I have one of those seat belt shoulder cushions around my wheel so I wont mar it). Then I run straps over my rear tires locking the straps close to the tire at the rear, one opening forward at the front which pulls the trike slightly forward. I'm tied! this allows my trike to float on its own suspension. I do have two straps that run from my rear tie downs at the sides of my trailer that slip over my trailer hitch ball with no ratchet, I had loops sewn in the straps at a upholstery place they act as a just incase! NEVER had a problem!

I stopped using a wheel chock on the trike. I just run a strap forward from the axle and rearward one each side. Pins the trike right to the trailer. Recheck the straps after @ 50 miles and tighten if need be. Harley Davidson ships the trikes using this method.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stockville69

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stockville69
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png