Tri Glide Fat Front Tire Kit

Bouncer

50+ Posts
May 16, 2021
Milwaukee, Wi, USA
Hello,

I've been looking at fat front tire kits. The kit allows you to use any 18x5.5 wheel and 180/55-18 tire.

I found kits for Street Glides and Baggers but nothing for my 2017 Tri Glide Ultra.

Has anyone done this conversion? Could I use a 49mm fork tube Bagger kit instead?

I think a larger front tire would be beneficial on a Tri Glide. More so then on a 2 wheel bike.

Thoughts and ideas? Thanks

Hannigan sells the entire assembly. I cannot see why one of these kits wouldn't work if the neck on both are similar. You may be onto something that the kit manufacturers are unaware of and may open a new market for them.

Fat Tire

Hello, I've been looking at fat front tire kits. The kit allows you to use any 18x5.5 wheel and 180/55-18 tire.I found kits for Street Glides and Baggers but nothing for my 2017 Tri Glide Ultra. Has anyone done this conversion? Could I use a 49mm fork tube Bagger kit instead? I think a larger front tire would be beneficial on a Tri Glide. More so then on a 2 wheel bike. Thoughts and ideas? Thanks

How will a fat tire affect handling?

I ordered a 19" front tire which is narrower than the 16" stock.

Been told that a skinny tire makes it easier to steer. No clue since I've never had anything except stock on my Tri-Glide.

Going to try it and see I guess since it's on order.

Been told that a skinny tire makes it easier to steer. No clue since I've never had anything except stock on my Tri-Glide.

Never thought of steering difficulty. I'd imagine it would be harder to turn sitting still, but the same rolling.

I'm looking into it for a smoother ride and longer tire life. The 19" tire might wear quickly.

Thanks for your input.

Apples to oranges here I had an anniversary edition sportster and it came from the factory with a wide front tire and it Steered like a truck especially at slow speeds.. Imagine On Tri-Glide It will be even worse..🤔

Hello,

I've been looking at fat front tire kits. The kit allows you to use any 18x5.5 wheel and 180/55-18 tire.

I found kits for Street Glides and Baggers but nothing for my 2017 Tri Glide Ultra.

Has anyone done this conversion? Could I use a 49mm fork tube Bagger kit instead?

I think a larger front tire would be beneficial on a Tri Glide. More so then on a 2 wheel bike.

I can't even imagine trying to turn that thing, especially with my f'd up shoulders......

YMMV

Lon

Hello,

Vendor at Black Hills HD (Sturgis week....) has one on a CVO Trike. It looks VERY nice.....

When riding the trike in a "spirited" manner, the front tire scrubs in corners. I currently have a "front tire mounted backwards" on mine, and it's a bit better than a stock front tire as it has a wider contact patch. Yes, the more rubber on the front of a trike the harder it's gonna be to turn the bars. The trade off for faster corners I guess.....

WideFront.jpgWideSide.jpg

Chuck

Vendor at Black Hills HD (Sturgis week....) has one on a CVO Trike. It looks VERY nice.....

When riding the trike in a "spirited" manner, the front tire scrubs in corners. I currently have a "front tire mounted backwards" on mine, and it's a bit better than a stock front tire as it has a wider contact patch. Yes, the more rubber on the front of a trike the harder it's gonna be to turn the bars. The trade off for faster corners I guess.....

View attachment 114124View attachment 114125

Chuck

My Avon trike tire seems to have more rubber in the middle. I am not having any difficulty turning the bars.

Not sure the reason why you would want a larger tire but in my thread about the nexgen shocks, I found out that a good suspension negates all issues I've ever had with my front suspension and handling.

Not sure the reason why you would want a larger tire but in my thread about the nexgen shocks, I found out that a good suspension negates all issues I've ever had with my front suspension and handling.

I tend to enjoy riding "spirited". This creates problems for me that most won't run into.....

The Trike goes around corners because of the grip of the front tire when it is turned a different direction from the rear tires. The rear tires want to push the Trike in a straight line, the front tire makes it go a different way.... Easy in a parking lot, but a much different scenario going hard through a "sweeper". Go into the corner too fast, the front tire scrubs, and off into the ditch you go. Same thing if you get on the throttle too early, the trike accelerating makes the front tire "light" and it can lose traction easier. Put some bumps in the corner and again, that front tire can lose grip and off ya go.

Yeah, I could just slow down, but what fun is that????

So I look at front wide tires kits with much interest.....

:)

I currently run a Commander II rear tire mounted "backwards". I have a much better contact patch than the stock Dunlop, and than any tire I've had the chance to measure. The Pirelli 180 has about an inch more than my Michelin....

Chuck

I tend to enjoy riding "spirited". This creates problems for me that most won't run into.....

The Trike goes around corners because of the grip of the front tire when it is turned a different direction from the rear tires. The rear tires want to push the Trike in a straight line, the front tire makes it go a different way.... Easy in a parking lot, but a much different scenario going hard through a "sweeper". Go into the corner too fast, the front tire scrubs, and off into the ditch you go. Same thing if you get on the throttle too early, the trike accelerating makes the front tire "light" and it can lose traction easier. Put some bumps in the corner and again, that front tire can lose grip and off ya go.

Yeah, I could just slow down, but what fun is that????

So I look at front wide tires kits with much interest.....

:)

I currently run a Commander II rear tire mounted "backwards". I have a much better contact patch than the stock Dunlop, and than any tire I've had the chance to measure. The Pirelli 180 has about an inch more than my Michelin....

Chuck

I had a 08 Goldwing CSC trike with the Hannigan Wide tire kit it was great, handle good road good, I liked it. I put one on my 2021 Indian Roadmaster Its a Hawg Halters kit, nice kit easy install. I had a Bridgestone 180/55/18 tire, really bouncy ride & a lot of Noice, Some body rolled back into me on a Harley trike with slash cut mufflers The tip of the mufflers broke a belt in the tire. So I put a Metzler on it that tire was so loud, It was weird on different pavement it would be so loud pavement changed it was dead silent. I removed the kit & put my stock wheel back on. I talked to a guy at Vic Baggers They sell wide tire kits, He says I need to get a lower weight rating that will stop the bouncing & rough ride the two I had were a 80 rating he says get a 74 rating or less, & some tires are just noisier than others. I could not take the humming sounded like a dump truck with recaps. There's not many 180 tires with a low weight rating.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png