Trike Oil Change

I took this a long time ago and have no idea what the orange lines are for. But here we put the level on the righ valve cover and jack to get the bubble as shown.

View attachment 111791

I checked the oil today with my trike on a level floor. I put a level on the valve cover and the bubble was all the way forward. The level on the dipstick was right at the full mark. I raised the rear of the bike 3 inches to put the bubble at the same position as illustrated. The oil was very slightly below the full mark.

At the next oil change I will measure how much oil was drained in both positions and report back. Seat of the pants observation indicates, on my trike, that it won't make much of a difference.

Greg and Rob I found this interesting. I checked the level on mine and the bubble was all the way to the rear so I checked the oil level and then pushed the trike front wheel on a 2x6 I had and it put the bubble right at center rechecked the oil level and there is very little difference. So my opinion is if when checking my oil level I'll just keep it on the full mark, since there is a safety zone there that should be good.

Here are the results of my oil change on my 2012 Reverse Trike.

Since my trike is lower in the rear I drained the oil with it on the ground.

In order to get my trike at the same level as the one pictured I raised the rear of the trike 3 inches. And drained the rest of the oil. I got about 3 more ounces. I changed the filter.

I put 1 Gallon of oil in it while the rear was raised. After idling to get the new oil throughout the system the oil level was right at the full mark. I put the bike back on the floor and the level was slightly above full.

My conclusion, for my setup, is the difference between the two methods is minute. Not enough to go through the extra hassle.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png