Valve stem clearance

14TG

80+ Posts
Hi All,

I posted this over on the HD forum & just though I’d share on here…..

I have a 2014 Tri Glide. From 2014-2018, HD uses different calipers on our trikes. (Freewheeler too) before going back to the Brembo brakes.

My Indy mounted and balance a new front tire (and new chrome powder coated wheels) but after I replaced all pads, bled brakes & when they spun the front tire, I was hearing a “clicking sound”.

That’s when I noticed the front valve stem was hitting on of the caliper bolts.

so, just an FYI: “Shorty” valve stems are needed on the front wheel.

Pics:

IMG_7759.jpgIMG_7671.jpg

- Brett

Attachments

• IMG_7759.jpg
    IMG_7759.jpg
    793.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7671.jpg
    IMG_7671.jpg
    817.6 KB · Views: 16
Brett are they the same wheels you had, but just powder coated chrome, or are they different wheels altogether.

Brett are they the same wheels you had, but just powder coated chrome, or are they different wheels altogether.

They are another set that I bought off a forum member … but they are the exact same stock OEM wheels that was originally on it.

(Front wheel part number: 83326-09 fits 2009-2021 years).

I looked at my original wheel (that I put back in the box) and it also has a shorty valve stem in it.

looking at my service manual, they of course are technical with parts breakdowns, and the valve stem show as part number: 40999-87 and may be considered as “standard” part on these wheels

So, I assume that “technically” that calls for a “shorter” valve stem, but two of my local dealers did not know this, nor did my Indy know this.

it’s an easy enough oversight that when even a dealer that mounts tires regularly that this may be overlooked.

[FONT=&amp] [/FONT]

Back