Well, I always knew it could happen….

hogmemberisold

3250+ Posts
Nov 29, 2016
Shepherdsville, Ky, USA
We were out Thursday riding around to nowhere particular. Just picked a remote point and used the GPS to help guide us along remote roads. Really enjoyed the slow, remote, farm type roads, some gravel… wandering…

We were just leaving the outbound part and started heading “towards” the house, still in wandering mode…. and… the dash lights stated blinking and alternating blinking… then the engine started sputtering and died. We were about 30 miles from home at this point..

I was able to start and turn the trike around (the main road we had just crossed would be the closest way home) and get it heading towards home the shortest way. We got a few miles and had to get off the highway, let it rest a few minutes, and tried starting it for it to just click…. the battery is dead….I pulled the side panel off the left side to get to the battery and removed the small plastic panel to expose the positive terminal of the battery. Just setting there the voltage was low…. in the 11.??? range… my mind is racing now…. It’s late in the day and nowhere near home with a dead battery and an alternator that wasn’t working…. (I carry a Fluke digital meter in the front storage of the bike all the time)

Then I remembered I had put the Lithium jump starter in the front storage of the trike from the car where it’s usually setting before heading out! I forgot about it as I got in the habit of just doing it …With the side panel off and the battery terminals exposed I was able to connect the large clamps of the jump starter to the battery posts and stand the starter pack on it’s side on the passenger floorboard. Connecting it up and then starting the trike we were able to ride the trike 1 to 2 miles before it would die…

We did this a few times, with each time the riding distance being shorter…. then I realized I should unplug the headlights, as that would probably be the largest current draw… so I did…After unplugging the headlights we were able to start and splutter a short distance, find a decent pull off and then do it all over again…. many, many, many, many times… until we were home!!!!

I’ve since recharged the Lithium battery starter and put it back in the car’s trunk and put a small charger on the trike battery and started it to see that the alternator wasn’t charging, yet… it’s gone...

So a replacement battery has been ordered along with a voltmeter to mount somewhere on the bike….. and hopefully I’ll pull the alternator out in a few days…. and find a new alternator and see if I can get the old one rebuilt…..

Oh, did I mention, praise the Lord, we made it home……!!!!! Isn’t technology grand!!!!!

Screenshot from 2023-02-25 08-00-05.jpg

Just looking at the picture, have you considered the possiblity that the charging system cannot keep up with the demand ???

Oh, your seeing all the ground(s) in that pic... no problem with any extra load.

All the add-on lights being a trike are LED... minimal extra load. Those extras are for the trailer isolation and heated gear, etc. Not always used...

Yes... you would think they should be able to make them last longer as long as batteries have been around.

At first looking into when I last replaced the battery I thought that it was all the way back in 2011.... my maintenance log book showed that. When I was looking on the internet and comparin pricing to Amazon, the Amazon website showed I had last ordered one in 2017.... so it's been 6 years... (Updated my log)

I've already ordered a replacement battery and intend to load test the existing one. If it fails, change it out, if not, I'll have the new one on the shelf!

I know, some will say, but you've already gotten 6 years, why chance it.... any battery can just die/fail when you least expect it, new or old. A load test if passed will be fine with me....

Replacement is the Yuasa YTX20HL-BS, and I just looked and seen it was just delivered this morning while we were out eating breakfast! I ordered it yesterday....

Now to source an alternator...

Donald,

We were very happy to make it back home without resorting to other means....

That link you provided.... it looks like that end might be able to plug directly into the jump starter....

I'll take a look into that,

Thanks!!!!

Donald,

We were very happy to make it back home without resorting to other means....

That link you provided.... it looks like that end might be able to plug directly into the jump starter....

I'll take a look into that,

Thanks!!!!

Yes Sir, it does. Mine is attached to me bike battery and comes up by the back rest. If ever I need a jump, I simply plug into the jump starter.

Late last year, I had the dealer install a CB in my bike. I know if was over the winter, so it just sat there for some time (not on a tender). Dealer delivered the bike to my home just before Xmas - and when they took it out of the truck, it did not start (clicked).

I got my jump starter, plugged it in and started it right up. Got the bike in the garage and put it on the tender. All is well. Just waiting for some great weather so I can ride.

Purchased some extra cables. Have one attached to my generator that is outside under the deck. Those little generator batteries get cold sometimes and the generator is hard to start. Ordered a new battery and will replace it when the weather gets warmer. Meanwhile, I just connect the cable to my jump starter and away we go.

Has anyone else noticed that batteries just don't last as long as they used to?

At my club we have had ATV’s since back when they were called ATC’s…And at the moment there’s at least 20 + sitting there and what I’ve noticed that the original factory battery last for a long time but when some of the members replace the battery with a different type (cheaper)they don’t seem to last as long it becomes a hit and miss if you get two more years out of a replacement battery..

I don't nurse batteries, first sign of a problem I buy new. And no more batteries that you have to put acid in. Just me :)

I understand that!

I'm on the other side of the fence there... when I put the acid in myself, I KNOW, when the battery was activated.... those factory filled ones may be a bit old and sitting until purchased..... and most of em are of the same technology except factory filled...

I understand that!

I'm on the other side of the fence there... when I put the acid in myself, I KNOW, when the battery was activated.... those factory filled ones may be a bit old and sitting until purchased..... and most of em are of the same technology except factory filled...

That's what we do here too. Plus we order our batteries from Honda with a Honda part number, not the over-the-counter Yuasas. In addition, when we activate them, we follow the instruction in the box ... add acid, wait 1 hour, put on a 2amp charger. Depending on the battery, it might take anywhere between 3-6 hrs to fully charge one. It is then removed from the charger, and tested per the Service Manual. If it passes, only then is it installed.

DSCN6953.jpg

I got the alternator removed yesterday after sourcing a couple tools from harbor freight to help. It is bad, no doubt after doing all the checks in the service manual.

The new replacement was also ordered yesterday after I went to a local rebuild shop that said they would not look at the old one.

I got the alternator removed yesterday after sourcing a couple tools from harbor freight to help. It is bad, no doubt after doing all the checks in the service manual.

The new replacement was also ordered yesterday after I went to a local rebuild shop that said they would not look at the old one.

Unless the rebuild shop is a throwback from the 50/60’s..As soon as they hear motorcycle alternator they wouldn’t touch it…. had that problem with the reverse motor on my tri glide…3 or 4 shops turned me down….Then I found this hole in the wall shop with wood shelves and grease all over and they rebuilt it in a half hour while I waited..And was entertain with hunting story’s from the owner 👍👍..

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png