What's Missing

rocket1lf

450+ Posts
Dec 7, 2013
Hot Arizona, USA
Does anyone see something wrong with these ladder bars? A shop I used called me about working on this trike because he knew I changed mine. Nobody around where this person lived wanted to work on it, so he shipped it to the shop I know. This guy was doing 75mph when this happened. He went toward a concrete wall and didn't get it stopped until he was 2 feet from the wall. He got very lucky. Rear end twisted and dented the rear trans seal and the driveshaft bounced around quite a bit. One picture is of the old style and new style together and the other picture is of the broken ones. Both broke at the same time. Rick

Attachments

• Ladder Bars.jpg
    Ladder Bars.jpg
    509.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0811.JPG
    IMG_0811.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 98
Does anyone see something wrong with these ladder bars? A shop I used called me about working on this trike because he knew I changed mine. Nobody around where this person lived wanted to work on it, so he shipped it to the shop I know. This guy was doing 75mph when this happened. He went toward a concrete wall and didn't get it stopped until he was 2 feet from the wall. He got very lucky. Rear end twisted and dented the rear trans seal and the driveshaft bounced around quite a bit. One picture is of the old style and new style together and the other picture is of the broken ones. Both broke at the same time. Rick

by the looks the problem is not with the control arms,, either the mounts on the frame let go or my guess is the bracket ripped off the rear end

Those are the front heim joints that broke off. This has happened before to other people that have this type of mount. The one with the rubber bushing and sleeve is the replacement that was used in the newer Stallions. I replaced mine about 4 years ago with the newer type. The bottom picture is of mine new and old. Rick

There have been a number of these to fail. I changed mine out early on when TBMS would send the upgraded ones upon request. I did mine and it was the toughest work I have ever done. There should have been a recall on this when the problem was first discovered. I am surprised that the NTSB has not initiated a recall and if they knew about it, they probably would.

Those are the front heim joints that broke off. This has happened before to other people that have this type of mount. The one with the rubber bushing and sleeve is the replacement that was used in the newer Stallions. I replaced mine about 4 years ago with the newer type. The bottom picture is of mine new and old. Rick

no kidding! i assumed the heim joints had been taken out.. not broken... my bad

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png