To Damper or not to Damper

Pingel has a good line of steering dampers. They are highly recommended on 2000-2006 Boss Hoss trikes. The Pingel unit I ran on our trike cost $132.

Withe the Kewlmetal trees,our trike doesn't need a damper now.

Everything here that you guys have installed are considerably shorter over all length than the TG damper. TG is a total length of 16" or 406mm. There are a lot of 400mm on Ebay that computes to just 1/4 in short of 16". TG body is 6" or 152mm, and Ebay's 400mm's has a 7 1/8" body 200mm. Comparing the 2 does, anyone see a problem with the 400mm over Harleys. I have an 09 UC with a Lehman conversion. Raked a 5 and I have had the dealership check everything, no problems other than shaking.

Everything here that you guys have installed are considerably shorter over all length than the TG damper. TG is a total length of 16" or 406mm. There are a lot of 400mm on Ebay that computes to just 1/4 in short of 16". TG body is 6" or 152mm, and Ebay's 400mm's has a 7 1/8" body 200mm. Comparing the 2 does, anyone see a problem with the 400mm over Harleys. I have an 09 UC with a Lehman conversion. Raked a 5 and I have had the dealership check everything, no problems other than shaking.

I used a 400mm on my victory, and I think a 300mm on my roadking (flh). On my hd I mounted it similar to the way the TG's are mounted. If it would help out, I could snap some pics tomorrow and post them for ideas on your install. If you mounted one like I did on my Vic you could use the 400mm easily.:Shrug:

I have the Harley mounting brackets and am comfortable with an install, just wondering if I need to come as close as possible to match the TG damper. If I go smaller won't I loose turning radius?

americanbadas did the 300 give you lock to lock turning? I plan on mounting them just the way the TG is too since I have the HD brackets.

I made my own brackets so the 300mm worked out fine on my RK. The way I set it up, there is full range of motion and about 1 inch of play on either end of the damper shaft. Since you have the HD brackets you may want to go to your nearest dealer, to look at one and even take some measurements. It is better to get a slightly longer damper, than too short-you could just adjust the play on either end.

I am going to install it the same way they do on the tri glide since I have the Harley brackets. My question is can I get lock lock turning with a shorter damper than the 16" (406mm) 1 on the Triglide?

I went over to Thunder Mountain and they had a triglide. That's where I got the figures off 16 inches total length in the body 9 inches. It would probably be best if I used the 400 that's closest to the 16 inchesI can get. Especially sense I will be using Harleys tri glide brackets.

I went over to Thunder Mountain and they had a triglide. That's where I got the figures off 16 inches total length in the body 9 inches. It would probably be best if I used the 400 that's closest to the 16 inchesI can get. Especially sense I will be using Harleys tri glide brackets.

It should work fine (the 400mm)-just make sure you adjust it so the full range of steering is balanced. Sounds like you have it covered-good luck!:D

I'm just full of questions, here's another one. I know that the damper used as standard on the new Harley trikes is PN 83808-09A. I would like to know, if possible, the PN of Ohlins damper Harley uses?

if they set that 30k trike up right to start with it wouldnt need a damper!!!
flames on :)
have built an worked on enought trike to know it can be done!!
your opinions will varry

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png