cams for 103 motors on a Trike

tbear

Sep 23, 2013
Carleton, Michigan
I might of missed the Forum but I am also sorta New to this Forum.
I want to do a CAM change on my 2010 Triglide (103cc).Has there been any
insight on what everyone is using the most as for cams?? I will be going with true-duals,Big mouth AC, Tuner,maybe Samson 3" exhaust. I don't ride the Express highways that often but alot of 2 lane country roads (45-55mph) and usually 2 up on the weekends. just me during the week.:Shrug:

True duals isn't a very good exhaust for a heavy trike, you also have to watch how large the baffle are in the mufflers, to big and you'll sacrifice some of the bottom end. I wouldn't get a baffle any larger than 1 3/4". Vance & Hines power duals are pretty decent, the Kuryaky Crusher Mellow mufflers work pretty good.

Cams are a tough choice, a lot depends on your tastes and riding style. Just to throw a few out, Screamin Eagle 254 seems to work well, T-Man 555 Torqster, Wood TW222, Head Quarters HQ500. The SE255 can do the job also but at the cost of it being finicky about tune & fuel. If your tune isn't on and you get some crummy fuel your reward will be pinging.

If you always ride in the same area where good gas is available the SE255 hits real hard on the bottom. If your a traveling type who can be 1,000 miles from home and at the mercy of available fuel I wouldn't recommend the SE255. My dad and I both ran them for a season, they were a fun cam but when out west we ended up using octane booster when good quality 91 octane fuel wasn't available.

Adding to msocko3 and eagle1. I had S&S 510G cams in my 103. I had true dual exhaust stage one cleaner. Rush mufflers with 1 &3/4 baffles DynoJet USB tuner. Trike Dynoed at Tilley HD Statesville NC. It ran great. Lots of torque and 35 to 38 MPG. Rode out west with no pinging issues.

thank you all for the replys. I believe my Tuner suggested HQ500 cam but I will suggest the others to him also. As for the true duals, I will bring up the 1 3/4 baffle suggestion too. I know he tunes Trikes (not many though). They are just popping up here in Michigan. More popular in the southern and western states. I will let you all know when she gets done and I have a chance to ride it before the real cold weather hits and I turn into a Old Bear and Hibernate here on the computor for the winter.

thank you all for the replys. I believe my Tuner suggested HQ500 cam but I will suggest the others to him also. As for the true duals, I will bring up the 1 3/4 baffle suggestion too. I know he tunes Trikes (not many though). They are just popping up here in Michigan. More popular in the southern and western states. I will let you all know when she gets done and I have a chance to ride it before the real cold weather hits and I turn into a Old Bear and Hibernate here on the computor for the winter.

just got back from the Mechanics place. He says that the S&S 551 cam is the one he will be using. So, I called S&S to verify and they said the 557 should be used on Trikes. Anyone tried any of these cams before??

The 557 can is similar to the 255 cams. Runs up the torque quick and dies a quick death for more torque longevity in the higher rpm when your needing more power to climb the grade.

would you say maybe a 551 or 583 would be better?? I don't go over 60 to 65 mph very often. I am just a two lane rider most of the time. Freeway riding is only if I have to, to get to another side road.:gah:

would you say maybe a 551 or 583 would be better?? I don't go over 60 to 65 mph very often. I am just a two lane rider most of the time. Freeway riding is only if I have to, to get to another side road.:gah:

With the way you say you ride, why even cam it? Maybe all you need is a stage one and down shift a little.

With that said, I do like power and I do use it, but that's me. With a lot of power it is very easy to lug the motor when not being used and that is not good for it.

Just some thoughts....

With the way you say you ride, why even cam it? Maybe all you need is a stage one and down shift a little.

With that said, I do like power and I do use it, but that's me. With a lot of power it is very easy to lug the motor when not being used and that is not good for it.

Just some thoughts....

I hear ya, but I do ride in the hilly country sometimes and with the wiffee with me it seems to take alot to get her up those hills! I always try to keep the rpm's around 25 to 28 at all times. I know lugging is not good. I just don't want to not put in a different cam and then regret it later and have to pay my mechanic to install and redyno AGAIN. money,money,money. I always seem to say the old saying: I wish I would have----------------------------ya know??:Shrug:

I have an 09 Tg that I put S&S 557 EZ start cams , S/E air cleaner, Joker Machine SS mufflers, has NO cat in pipe..
After getting Wizard ta tune it with a TTS 11 mastetune, the trike runs awesome...Less engine heat, good response all around and gets over 30mpg..
Just my choices, but worked out well for me!!!..HaNkB

just got back from the Mechanics place. He says that the S&S 551 cam is the one he will be using. So, I called S&S to verify and they said the 557 should be used on Trikes. Anyone tried any of these cams before??
I just put the 557's in and opened up the exhaust Vance and Hines no cat . Runs like a Scalded Dog :)

TTS 100

I have heard TTS 100's are a great low end torque pulls right through ends a lot of shifting, plan on getting them installed soon. fearless:Shrug: ThumbUp

Running S&S 557 chain drive and love it. Great lower to mid-range. Helps that heavy sucker get rolling quick. Good performance running in conjunction with a V&H FuelPak.. I don't get it up over 75 too often but has no problem doing it.

8~\o

S&S makes a specific camshaft for Tri Glide, #557 with easy start. Available in chain drive and gear drive version. I am not sure if they make these camshafts w/o the easy start since most Tri glide come with the automatic compression release. You are paying for something you did not need.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png