How do you tie down a trike on a trailer?

This may seem like a dumb question, but I am a newbie to trikes. I have trailed my bikes many thousands of miles, as I live in Canada in the snow belt, and like to take my bike down south in the winter - we are often snowed in, and you can't ride it down south. Now I have the bike triked, and am wondering if you still need all the tie downs that are used on a bike? With a bike I always leave it in gear, use a front wheel chock, one tie down each side to the triple trees in front and one tie down each side near the middle from the frame.
Obviously keeping it upright is not a problem, but how much security is needed to hold a trike in place? Advice appreciated.

Same except, never leave it in gear.
2front straps first pulling it forward into a wheel chock. Do not compress forks more than a couple inches.
Rear 2straps on the frame or on a trailer hitch or?, just to keep the rear from moving sideways.

My main thought when tying anything down is to keep it on the trailer in most any traffic situation. A hard stop, a quick swerve etc....

With that said, I always put front wheel in chock, 2 straps on front, compressing the shocks about 1-2". I also put 2 straps on rear attached to frame or axle angled slightly to the back & sides. My trailer has the rings in the floor so it's pretty easy to tie it down.

Keeping the trike upright is not a problem....keeping it on the trailer is the goal. ThumbUp

I trailer my trike to Pa. every spring from Florida to spend the summers there. i use my 7x14' utility trailer with rear ramp and when i tie it down i just wrap the front tire around the side rail with a strap going around each about 6-7 times, not going anywhere. I then tie the rear wheels to the sides of the trailer to stop it from ever shifting sideways and i am all set, it is not going anywhere. a wheel chock works great for a enclosed trailer but not needed in a utility style trailer with side walls. this has worked for me for over 4 years trailering my ride and probably over 20,000 miles. try it and you will like it.

I put the front wheel in a chock and tie the wheel down with two straps, to either side. In back I tie each back wheel diagonally to the other side.

About 5,000 miles and no issues including some really tough traffic stops.

The few times I have trailered mine, I've used my enclosed V nose 20 ft snowmobile trailer.
Drive it in and tie it down like this-
I put a eye bolt in one of the snowmobile front tie down holes.
Use a come-a-long from the bolt, to the rim and back to the bolt.
Then I do the same in the back, only attach the come-a-long to the trailer hitch.
Tighten both and hit the road.
Never moves.

When I drive UP TO the trailer ramp I make sure the front valve stem is at about 6 oclock before driving on, that way when the front wheel is in the chock the valve stem will be up out of the way of the tie down strap. With the front wheel against the stop I run a 2 inch strap through the front wheel and strap it tight against the stop. I use a Harbor Freight wheel chock made like the Condor chock. Then I strap each rear wheel to the opposite side of the trailer so the trike can't shift left or right. I have been considering ways to change the strapping on the rear wheels but haven't felt like putting the effort into changing yet, this works ok. I leave it in gear but I think it would hold just as well in neutral. Will it come loose in an accident, sure it will, but I have seen trenchers come loose in accidents and they were tied with hardened steel chains and tension latches. Slow down, drive defensively, and avoid getting in a compromising situation. Ninety nine point ninety nine percent of the time you will be OK.

A bit of advice on tie-down straps, use a wrap of electrical tape on every J-hook and loop to keep it in place on the floor anchors as well as the bike ties. I have had the J-hooks come loose twice on one trip (probably at road construction sites) and the tape will give you peace of mind.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trvman

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trvman
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png