Brunswick Stew

msocko3

Sep 20, 2009
NE Ohio
I'm a BBQ junky and in search of what I thought was the right flavor profile for Brunswick stew the way I like it. I've seen recipes with all sorts of different ingredients, I wanted something which could compliment BBQ, or just stand on its own. While reading the many recipes I come across one on Foodnetwork, I just tweaked it a touch to get me where I wanted to be.

Some of this recipe is based on taste, and also a little cooking common sense when things just don't look quite right. The recipe calls for canned veg, I'm not a big fan of the can. I use frozen veg and add what I think looks right. When it comes to the BBQ meats, the quantities are a guideline, I add more or less depending on what I want for consistency. Same thing when it comes to the BBQ sauces, with the one exception being the mustard based sauce, I don't get nuts with that one. The other sauces I add more if it taste like it needs it.

If you make your own BBQ sauces and have one which you think will fill the bill, give it a try.

I used to make my own sauce and dry rubs, I quit when I found I could buy them already prepared to suit my taste.

Yield:
20 plus servings

Ingredients

1/2 pound salted butter
3 cups (2 large) finely diced sweet onions
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup vinegar bbq sauce (I use The Shed Spicy Vinegar)
1/2 cup brown sweet bbq sauce (I use Guy Fieri Kansas City smoky and sweet)
1/4 cup mustard based bbq sauce (I use Famous Daves Georgia Mustard)
1 pound smoked pulled pork
1/2 pound smoked pulled chicken
1 pound smoked chopped beef brisket
1 ((number 10) can crushed tomatoes
1 quart drained yellow corn kernels
1 quart drained baby lima beans
1 quart or more quality chicken stock or broth

Directions

Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.

Add the diced onions and the garlic and saute until the onions are translucent, about 15 minutes.

Stir in the cayenne pepper, black pepper, salt and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes then add 1/2 cup of vinegar sauce 1/2 cup of bbq sauce and 1/4 cup of the mustard based sauce. Stir in the pulled pork, chicken, and brisket. Add the crushed tomatoes and all of the vegetables. Stir in the chicken stock and let simmer for a couple hours over medium heat.

I was hoping you'd post the stew recipe. I LOVE Brunswick stew..my mother used to make a great pot of Brunswick stew

I was hoping you'd post the stew recipe. I LOVE Brunswick stew..my mother used to make a great pot of Brunswick stew

I'll have to post up some more stuff when I have the time. I do a spicy slaw that is pretty good, goes well with the richness of the fatty BBQ such as pulled pork.

Thanks for sharing such a great recipe.:clapping::goodjob:

I am going to marinate the meats for about 3 hours in the refrigerator first. I like to use a 80/20 mix of Bragg Liquid Aminos (soy protein base), olive oil and lightly sprinkled with sea salt. This is a great way for the meats and the remaining ingredients to blend flavors.ThumbUp

Thanks again for such a great recipe.:clapping:

I had the opportunity to serve the Brunswick stew at a "Pot Luck" Blood Moon gathering a few days ago. I am happy to report that the dish was a great success.ThumbUp

There were 14 people at the gathering. I am also happy to report that your stew recipe was the only one at the pot luck dinner without leftovers.:laugh::goodjob:

Damn it..... We were going to ride to Beaufort, SC this Saturday for the Shrimp Festival (They always have GREAT Brunswick Stew there) but looks like the Hurricane is putting a damper on those plans. May get the ingredients to this receipt and make my own!!!!ThumbUp

Thanks again for such a great recipe.:clapping:

I had the opportunity to serve the Brunswick stew at a "Pot Luck" Blood Moon gathering a few days ago. I am happy to report that the dish was a great success.ThumbUp

There were 14 people at the gathering. I am also happy to report that your stew recipe was the only one at the pot luck dinner without leftovers.:laugh::goodjob:

Nice, I know the guys at work put a hurting on it when I make it for them.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png