riding it 4th gear...

DblTrbl

Oct 19, 2014
Rochester, NH, USA
I have been following "the manual" and getting into 5th gear around 35-40mph. After reading lots of posts about not going into 5th gear until highway speeds, I have been trying to ride in 4th gear.

For me it sounds like it's wound up pretty good but when I remember to stay in 4th at speeds below 55mph, I have found that my MPG have increased around 3 MPG.

Thanks for the tip...

Yea, 5th is a pretty tall gear. More of an overdrive.
The only time I use it is on the ickspressway over 70 mph. This engine definatly likes to run with the RPM's up. More power, smoother and more efficent.

I may be wrong, but while riding at the speed limit I try to keep it around 3000 rpm and as it increases Then I change gears. :Shrug:

Around 4 grand is the sweet spot on the V4. Keeping it close to that in 4th or 5th will give the best mpg. Unless of course you're coasting downhill.... :)

V4 Yamaha Royal Stars like to run in the higher rpm ranges. You can actually stay in 3rd longer then you think,it is good up to about 85/90 mph and down to 30ish. It's almost like having an automatic. So you are not hurting your bike by leaving it in 4th gear 55.As you saw in your mpg it is actually running the way it should.

I'm with dbruce56, if I go to 5th at anything less than 60, I hear about it - motor lugs and Roadies don't like that and they will let you know in a heart beat.

I am currently on a trip to Rapid City SD, thru Cody, WY the Yellowstone, etc... The speed limit on I-90 is 80mph in some areas, and of course we have to push it a little and have gotten up to 85ish. My 07 Venture / Hannigan has been GREAT as far as ride and handling, BUT...... The gas mileage dropped to 15mpg!!!! Wow does she get thirsty when she goes fast!! Of course altitude is affecting her also. I cannot use overdrive at 80mph, she just won't maintain speed. But, in 4th, it is tough to hold her back. She keeps wanting to go faster. I just can't afford to feed her at these high speeds.

:)

most of the time running at 50-65 in 4th gear mine is running really smooth and I can still move out if I get on the throttle. Other times, I seem to get a vibration from the engine. I can feel the vibration through my boots and floorboards. This seems to go away if I go up to 5th.....strange but true:confused:

"ALMOST EVERYONE" tends to "short shift" Trikes and Motorcycles. They get in a hurry to get into "High Gear" as soon as possible. "Almost" every large displacement Motorcycle, regardless of Brand doesn't need to be in it's highest gear until over 60 mph, with lots of Them not needing to be there until the 70 mph mark.

I see Them "lugged/chugged to death" daily because of this. The gas mileage also suffers due to running too tall of a gear, and too low of rpms. The power band requires some revs on these engines, so........."Let em' rev a little...Your engine and Your wallet will Thank You"........ThumbUp

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png