Psi for shocks

Jan 3, 2016
S e south dakota
I know I've seen a thread or two talking about air pressure. Got tires figured out . don't remember good starting point , pressure wise , for one up and two up riding on rear shocks . any suggestions will be appreciated .*

I pump mine up to 21 and allow 1 psi to drain while I remove the pump which should leave me at 20 psi. That works for me, but maybe not for others :Shrug:

Tri glide

Solo- 20-23 depending on what else I'm carrying

2up- between 33 and 43 depending on if we're packed for a trip. Most of the time for day rides we're at 33-35, that's with a total of about 320 # with the Misses and I.

I run 35psi in both my Freewheeler and her Tri-Glide. Seems to produce the best ride without bottoming out. Rear tires 25psi, front 35psi.

Try a pressure, go up or down 2psi. Usually you will hit the 'sweet spot' Do shocks, front and rear separately. Have fun, that is what motorcycles are all about

There is a table in the owner's manual that lists PSI ranges for solo and 2-up. I started with those and adjusted up and down until I found what I like. I weigh 185 lbs. and solo I ride with 18 to 20 psi. When riding 2-up I usually have 40 to 45 psi and max it out to 50 psi when 2-up and loaded for a trip.

Sunman

I ordered a Progressive 60lb gauge/pump that was delivered yesterday. The rear suspension on my new Free came with 10lbs of air. It was a rough ride, to say the least. I pumped it up to 22lbs and it was night and day difference this morning. Going to fool around with different pressures until I find out what feels best. Unfortunately the pressure release button on the new pump isn't functioning. Going to play around with it at different pressures to see if it is just stuck before I send it back.

Now on to tires. Back tires came at 22lb, but front was at 25lb. I think the steering will improve as I get more air in the front. I left my old compressor at our previous house when we moved. Headed to the hardware store for a new guage and quick connect for my little pancake compressor. Trying to get everything dialed in for the good weather we are supposed to have over the next week.

:)

I installed a small, 12v compressor into my air suspension. Yes, I used a relay. I can toggle two pre-sets from the dash, and override with another auto/off/manual toggle. Control is via a manifold with three adjustable pressure switches (lo, hi, and absolute max) and a manually-operated purge valve. Manifold pressure is held with a one-way valve in the supply line, and I have a pressure gauge on the dash. The setup made it easy to dial in the sweet spots and make incidental adjustments if needed. My low preset is currently 32# for light riding and 60# for full battle mode. Trike is 1120# curb weight and north of 1600# fully loaded. YMMV.

With my Tri-Glide and me a stealth 202 and solo i use 35+- in the shocks. When i go under 35 and hit a Jersey pot-hole' The kind that you can hide Jimmy Hoffa in' The shocks will bottom out with a good hard rap!

Just to add you should be using a no-loss air pump.... And if you decide to beed any air out , Before you do so, pump in 4 or 5 pounds to clear the air lines of shock oil....

Last edited:
Like Rhino 2 said ... MUST use a zero-loss hand pump for your shocks.

There is very little air behind the oil and a small loss of air equates to a large poundage drop.

A total improvement can be had by replacing the top fill line with a much longer coil .... which will increase the volume of air.

For those of you on the heavy side .... you can swap out the shock oil for a heavier weight. This will slow the rate of compression and rebound.

Bob :D

Shocks

If you re replacing the hock oil why weight oil do you use and how much

I installed a small, 12v compressor into my air suspension. Yes, I used a relay. I can toggle two pre-sets from the dash, and override with another auto/off/manual toggle. Control is via a manifold with three adjustable pressure switches (lo, hi, and absolute max) and a manually-operated purge valve. Manifold pressure is held with a one-way valve in the supply line, and I have a pressure gauge on the dash. The setup made it easy to dial in the sweet spots and make incidental adjustments if needed. My low preset is currently 32# for light riding and 60# for full battle mode. Trike is 1120# curb weight and north of 1600# fully loaded. YMMV.

I made the same thing, for the same reason...to be able to easily find the sweet spot no matter road conditions or load. See it HERE.

I run anywhere from 20 psi, to 50 psi, depending on conditions.

I also run 22 psi in the rear tires...amazingly better ride than running the 26 psi in them.

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png