Fork Lock ?

Larry Sobczak

Apr 25, 2015
Breese, IL
My wife and I were in Utah at the Arches National Park when we saw a guy and his wife in a parking lot, in the middle of nowhere, working on the front forks of his HD. He had locked the front forks for security and could not get it to unlock. He could still start it, but not steer it. After working an hour he removed the switch cover and pryed the key switch up to release the fork, but the locking post still extended out of the bottom of the switch and would not release. He tied the switch up out of the way and drove back to his hotel. This HD was a rental from Eagle out of Denver.

I did not think much about it until I got home and was talking to a guy who works at the local HD dealer. He had the same problem a few months back. He had to have it towed back to the dealer where they had to cut off the switch.

I'm not sure if this a wide spread problem ?
Do you use the Fort Lock ?

I do not use my Fork Lock.

Lock

Had that happen once way back on my '88 H.D., called local shop and they sent out a mechanic, worked over an hour on it and then I rode it on over to the shop for a new lock, etc.
This is the only time I've heard of any problems with them.
Yes I still use the fork locks on both Harleys, OFF/ON.
:wave4:

I never use a fork lock on any bike trike... After i had one jam on a Cb 750 i had years ago' The intreating thing about that was' As i was yanking on the bars hoping to free it' This very large Moose of a guy came over and said let me unlock it for you.. He grabbed the bars and gave it a quick yank' And the pin snapped' with out any damage to the forks and i was able to ride off...:xzqxz:

loccking forks

My freewheeler fork lock gets stuck a lot. All I have to do is push on the bars a little to the left and then turn the key. It is the same as when your car gets stuck in park

Used the fork lock, once. It took almost thirty minutes to get it unlocked.
No longer trust it.

It happened on my 2000 Road King. I finally was able to remove the lock mechanism by removing the headlight and going through the headlight housing to get to some screws that held the lock in place. Can remember exactly how I did it but a buddy of mine had read about how to do it on a Harley Forum. We were on the way back from the Arkansas State HOG rally and had stopped for lunch in Texarkana when it wouldn't unlock. When I got the lock apart we saw that it had broken apart inside. Looked like it was made from cheap pot metal. A few months later the same thing happened to another buddy's Police Road King. Ever since then I have not used the fork lock on any of my Harley's.

Sunman

My wife and I were in Utah at the Arches National Park when we saw a guy and his wife in a parking lot, in the middle of nowhere, working on the front forks of his HD. He had locked the front forks for security and could not get it to unlock. He could still start it, but not steer it. After working an hour he removed the switch cover and pryed the key switch up to release the fork, but the locking post still extended out of the bottom of the switch and would not release. He tied the switch up out of the way and drove back to his hotel. This HD was a rental from Eagle out of Denver.

I did not think much about it until I got home and was talking to a guy who works at the local HD dealer. He had the same problem a few months back. He had to have it towed back to the dealer where they had to cut off the switch.

Happened to me in 97 with a new 97 FLHT
Bummer had it towed and tied up for 2 weeks 500 miles on the clock I do lock it had it almost stolen 1 week ago

Last edited:
Lock mine religiously, an i bought a cable lock to lock the trike and the streetglide together when i feel the urge in public or the shop. So far so good.:cool:

Funny you bring this up.

Just yesterday, I fork locked my Tri Glide for the first time.

I had difficulty getting it unlocked. Now, I am not sure I want to use it, as I don't want to have that problem and get stranded.

I've had my 2 wheelers lock up several times over the years. Don't lock up the tricycle at all. Just put brake rotor locks on both sides of my front wheel and forget about it. They want it that bad that's what a .40cal and insurance is for.

I DO however carry a little bent screw driver that I can trip that latch under the lock and remove it if I do have an issue.

One thing I'd starting doing several years ago was pulling the lock assembly off and lubricating it with white grease. Think that might be one of the biggest problems. They are exposed to all the elements and get gummed up.

8~\o

Funny you bring this up. Just yesterday, I fork locked my Tri Glide for the first time. I had difficulty getting it unlocked. Now, I am not sure I want to use it, as I don't want to have that problem and get stranded.

I locked mine when it was new and at home in the garage, took 30 minutes to unlock it and I have never locked it again.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png