Lop-Sided Trike

Mar 1, 2016
Marietta, GA USA
I've had a new 2017 TG for a couple of weeks now. I had a FW before. I noticed that the left side of the TG, measured at the left fender is about 5/8" lower than the right side. I'm not amused. I stopped by my dealer and they seemed to be concerned and made an appointment to look at it Wednesday. While I was at the dealer, I asked one of the guys in service if I could measure another trike. He found a tape measure and we checked out a new 2017 TG and a new 2017 FW. On both bikes, the left side was between 1/2" and 9/16" lower than the right side.

He plans to call HD and see what the issue is.

A search of the web for information on this problem leads me to conclude that this is a quality control problem on the part of Harley and that it may or may not be corrected by the dealer. If this is a quality problem that is widespread enough to affect 3 bikes at the same dealer, Harley should be ashamed. $40K plus is too much to pay for junk.

Return it to the dealer they will adjust it not the first one that came from York uneven it is unnerving to pay such a premium price and have to take it back for them to get adjusted properly. I believe that check should be in the dealer prep of a new Triglide. dealer should have no problem adjusting it. travel safely Fred

So how does the dealer go about adjusting said problem ?

If i remember correctly.It was 5 or 6 years ago....They Readjust the 4 bolt holding the body.....No big deal for them, I didn't even have an appointment , I was at the dealer kicking tires and happened to mention it...And they said hang on we'll fix it right now...

They lower the pressure in the right tire to even it up, just kidding guys :D:D

All for now Trampas

If i remember correctly.It was 5 or 6 years ago....They Readjust the 4 bolt holding the body.....No big deal for them, I didn't even have an appointment , I was at the dealer kicking tires and happened to mention it...And they said hang on we'll fix it right now...

I kind of like Trampas idea ............:D

Response from MOCO and Dealer

HD does that so when you're on the flat track making all those left turns you have the proper setup for your suspension... :laugh:

I understand the humor in having a lop sided trike. My dealer and the MOCO advised me that a 1/2" disparity is within tolerance. If I want it fixed, I need to pay for the labor and parts myself. IMO, a modern manufacturing operation should be able to produce products with a tolerance closer than 1/2".

IMO, a modern manufacturing operation should be able to produce products with a tolerance closer than 1/2".

When I still worked for a living, my plant manufactured trim parts for the Lincoln Mark IV built in Wixom Michigan. We made a front fender molding and were called to the plant for a problem encountered when they started up a new model line. Turns out the front fender sheet metal was off in contour by 1/2 to 3/4" from the right side to the left side fender. This was on a luxury auto and guess what, since the sheet metal dies would have been very costly to correct, we ended up changing our part to match. Wonder if anyone who bought a Mark IV back in those days knew of that discrepancy :confused:

I understand the humor in having a lop sided trike. My dealer and the MOCO advised me that a 1/2" disparity is within tolerance. If I want it fixed, I need to pay for the labor and parts myself. IMO, a modern manufacturing operation should be able to produce products with a tolerance closer than 1/2".

I was told the same when I complained about mine (lower on the left side). I am not happy about it but don't think much about it anymore. Many roads around here are higher in the middle so rain will run off, so going down the road, I am fairly level when riding anyway. If I ever have to have the trunk removed for some other reason, I will have it corrected then.

Sadly, this is the norm now days it seems.

Lop sided Trike

Before ya get in a tizzy, measure down from the main rear frame & NOT the lower tips of the rear fenders. I put on a higher rear shock bracket from T-Glide Stuff in early '16. Got done & the rear looked lop sided. I was measuring from the lower tips of the rear fenders. After cussing & fussing I finally I hit upon the idea to measure down from the main rear frame. I found that one fender was rotated forward 3/8's of an inch thus the lop sided look!!!! Dismounted the fender, used a rat tailed file to elongate holes in fender & now both measure the same. This does not mean you could have a collapsed shock on one side as the reason. Comforting to know I can still get some use outta my 5 ft tall Craftsman tool chest. ..jimmer

Sometimes it all depends on the dealer....Back in 2011 i was at my dealer to get a part, And i casually mention to them about it.... They said do you have the Trike here, Yes i said...If you have a hour we'll fix it... And they did, No paper work to sign they just did it.

Don't know if they charged Harley or not...Like i said no paper work..:Shrug:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Platino

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Platino
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png