new to the group

Jul 2, 2017
Amite, La., USA
I have been riding Road Glides since 2002, latest 2016 RGU. Put 1000 miles on last one traded for a 2016 Free Wheeler as the RGU became too heavy for me to handle in town. Free Wheeler came with WS, Rider Back Rest, pass Back Rest, Trunk Rack, Bumper, I added Engine Guards with soft fairings, Bright Ass lights, and RGU original seat. Have 3000+ miles, problem with gas gauge, got 200 miles on tank of gas, next tank gave out of gas at 185 miles on I-65 below Toledo, OH. Put 8oz of gas from another bike, went two miles to gas station, only held 5 gallons. Had Dealer remove tank, could fine no problem, Harley tech said to fill-up every 150 miles. I am getting 40-43 MPH. Has anyone had this problem?

:welcome:to TT.

I haven't had any problems with my 2015 Freewheeler gas gauge. One more thing you need, floorboard extensions from DK Customs. I love mine.

Welcome to Trike -Talk....Larry....:wave4:The gas tanks are a little tricky to fill exactly with the same amount of gas every fill-up....Sometimes when you think its full, And then wait a few seconds , You can get a 1/2 gal more in...In other words if you don't fill it the same way every time, You'll have a 1/2 gal plus or minus difference that will throw off your calculations..:Shrug:

Welcome from New Mexico. If I am on a road trip, when filling, I bump the tank, I know I am getting a full tank. Out in the desert, it is easy to be 100 miles between gas. Enjoy the new trike. Jim

Welcome aboard. Burping the tank when you fill is quite common if you want a full fill. I don't think I have ever gotten a 1/2 gallon more in but I do fill it slow. As far as running out, on an expressway if you were doing 65+ a lot of the gas will be forced to the back of the tank so you may not have really been completely out. Your pickup is about 6 inches back from the front of the tank. Did you happen to look at your remaining fuel display at the point it started to run out? If you were running fast on the expressway and had any kind of head wind running out at 185 miles would not be unusual.

:welcome: to TT Larry!

As others have already pointed out it's a Trike thing. When you fill up a two wheel bike it's on the Jiffy stand. The tilt allows air to escape easier. Not so on a trike. If the pump you are using is nice and slow you can get more in the tank than one that is a bit touchy. Slightly rocking or bumping the tank while filling will help get gas into the tank and air out.

Welcome to the forum Larry, Congratulations on the Freewheeler ThumbUp

If your getting 40-43 mpg your doing everything right, I'm averaging in the mid 30's combined riding and typically get about 185 miles before the gas light comes on.

Ride safe have fun!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87_442

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87_442
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png