2014 HD Tri-Glide Rear Brake Rotor/Brake Pad Replacement Video

keikat2

90+ Posts
Jun 9, 2018
Forney, Texas, USA
2014 HD Tri-Glide Rear Brake Rotor/Brake Pad Replacement Video

I am going to replace the rear brake pads on my 2014 Tri-Glide and am thinking about replacing the rear rotors, as well, since the left rear rotor has a small circular groove cut into the rotor. In turn, is anybody aware of an internet video displaying the "step-by-step" process of changing the 2014+ Tri-Glides' rear brake pads and rotors? I have searched "You Tube"; however, the videos, I have found, are for the earlier year Tri-Glides. I have the 2014 Trike Supplement Service manual; however, an instructional video always seems to provide more information, detail, and service tips.

Thank you,

Allen S.

I have from time to time searched for the same video, but to date, nothing has been found.

I am going to replace the rear brake pads on my 2014 Tri-Glide and am thinking about replacing the rear rotors, as well, since the left rear rotor has a small circular groove cut into the rotor. In turn, is anybody aware of an internet video displaying the "step-by-step" process of changing the 2014+ Tri-Glides' rear brake pads and rotors? I have searched "You Tube"; however, the videos, I have found, are for the earlier year Tri-Glides. I have the 2014 Trike Supplement Service manual; however, an instructional video always seems to provide more information, detail, and service tips.

Thank you,

Allen S.

I believe on the 14 model, slacken the E brake, then you can compress the caliper piston

Before you do this, remove most of the fluid from the master cylinder, as you compress the pistons of the calipers it will raise the master cylinder level

Wash your rotors in soapy water and rinse with ample water , blow dry them with compressed air

install the new pads, attach caliper and bleed rear brakes re adjust parking brake, confirm a full pedal, go for a test ride

If your caliper pistons have 2 holes, you will need to rotate the pistons while pushing in at the same time, I hope this helps

Thank you "daf62757" and "Jack" for your responses. I installed the front brake pads on my Trike yesterday. With the help of the 2014 Tri-Glide Service Supplement manual and Jack's detailed explanation hopefully I can figure it out. I have certainly come to rely on the You Tube videos when performing maintenance on my Trike.

One question Jack. If I remove some of the brake fluid from the Rear Master Cylinder Reservoir and leave just enough to entirely cover the bottom of the reservoir, will the rear brakes need to be bled?

Best of Luck,

Allen S.

Thank you "daf62757" and "Jack" for your responses. I installed the front brake pads on my Trike yesterday. With the help of the 2014 Tri-Glide Service Supplement manual and Jack's detailed explanation hopefully I can figure it out. I have certainly come to rely on the You Tube videos when performing maintenance on my Trike.

One question Jack. If I remove some of the brake fluid from the Rear Master Cylinder Reservoir and leave just enough to entirely cover the bottom of the reservoir, will the rear brakes need to be bled?

Best of Luck,

Allen S.

Bleeding new fluid thru the system is always a win win, it removes the moisture and gasses that build up, equals better braking and less brake fade

Make sure you leave the e brakes off Jack the bike , removing the calipers is not complicated, simple tool. Leave the old pads in and spread them a little bit with a flathead screwdriver…if you want better stopping power get double sintered pads like EBC HH. If you’ve ever changed pads & rotors on a car, it’s not that much different.

Just saw this thread and going to post a video that I did a few months back on changing out brake pads on my 2014 Tri Glide.

Note: These are pretty easy to do, but “un adjusting” the E-brake cable is required…. Then once the brake job is complete, you need to “re adjust” the E-brake cable. Again, it’s easy to do & hope this video helps.

I believe this will only apply to 2014-2018 year trikes.

YouTube video link:

Just saw this thread and going to post a video that I did a few months back on changing out brake pads on my 2014 Tri Glide.

Note: These are pretty easy to do, but “un adjusting” the E-brake cable is required…. Then once the brake job is complete, you need to “re adjust” the E-brake cable. Again, it’s easy to do & hope this video helps.

I believe this will only apply to 2014-2018 year trikes.

YouTube video link:

That is actually a pretty good video despite being shot on a cell phone. He covers stuff you might not see elsewhere such as cleaning and lubricating the caliper guide pins.

Thank you,

Allen S.

So this is not for everyone. I removed everything to do with the e brake on my 2012 Trike. It has made changing pads and rotors so much easier. Have ridden a 2-wheeler for over 55 years before transitioning to 3, I never had a need for an e brake. I never used the e brake for the first 10 years of riding the Trike either, so removing it was not a problem for me. Just my 2 cents.

So this is not for everyone. I removed everything to do with the e brake on my 2012 Trike. It has made changing pads and rotors so much easier. Have ridden a 2-wheeler for over 55 years before transitioning to 3, I never had a need for an e brake. I never used the e brake for the first 10 years of riding the Trike either, so removing it was not a problem for me. Just my 2 cents.

Wow! That's quite an event. I get the point, but... I use the parking brake when I'm stopped and just need to keep it from rolling a little. Usually when I'm at home in the garage or at a quick stop. If parked at a motel or just a gas stop I leave it in gear. I'll see your 2 cents and add my 2 cents.

I use my E brake all the time and I like to have it working properly and adjusted perfectly. Changing the rear pads was no more complicated than working on a car brakes

100% agreed…

These trikes weigh a few hundred pounds more than a 2 wheeled touring bike.

The rear brakes (the front, as well) are indeed very easy to do. And although it may look intimidating to some, the process is pretty easy. The shop manual is spot on, but the video also will help with a visual.

Adjusting the Parking brake is also very simple to do. For the few months that I have owned mine since September, I think the only time I didn’t use it is when it was sitting on a level and fueling up. Otherwise, I used it all of the time.

There's a thread on the site where I was going to pull my emergency brake off my '21 Freewheeler. Mostly because I don't like how it looks. Had it all figured out, but in the interim period I found myself using that brake more and more. Now I take it for granted when I'm parked on anything except level ground and even then, depending on where I'm at, I'll put it on as an extra security measure.

Any of you have experience with the parking brake not locking both wheels equally? My 2018 equalizer seems to not be in a vertical position, meaning one side is engaging when the other is not. So I have to adjust to the Right Rear Wheel which leaves the Left brake not fully engaged. Cannot figure out what is causing this. Maybe the pulley on the Right Caliper? Afraid to remove the cable winding pulleys.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png