Factory security working?

Mikey, thanks for this info. In researching via internet I get conflicting info. One site lists the smart system as standard equipment, then lists it under optional equipment. Another dealer site lists the system as optional.:gah: I'll take your word for it and ask my dealer to turn it on for me. Thanks again! :Coffee:

Billybob, If you pop off the the riders left side rear triangle shaped cover, there are two horizontal slots. One large, which is where the factory security module fits, and a small one, where the alarm module goes. At least on mine. 'Your mileage may vary'.

Billybob, If you pop off the the riders left side rear triangle shaped cover, there are two horizontal slots. One large, which is where the factory security module fits, and a small one, where the alarm module goes. At least on mine. 'Your mileage may vary'.

Siren 9.jpg

I don't ride when the roads are salty .... and all the roads are paved where I ride and live.

Cleaning motorcycles is therapeutic!!!!!

Bob :D

Bob, I assume the module is on the left above the thick wiring harness? Thanks for the visual!

It's in a plastic pocket, parallel to the ground, on top, right under ( in this photo ) what looks like a strip of velco, just above the large wiring harness that is on the left. The large wiring harness plugs into it.

Mikey, thanks for this info. In researching via internet I get conflicting info. One site lists the smart system as standard equipment, then lists it under optional equipment. Another dealer site lists the system as optional.:gah: I'll take your word for it and ask my dealer to turn it on for me. Thanks again! :Coffee:

If you have the owner's manual, there is an entire section devoted to the security system. Pg 101 of the '16 MY owners manual even goes so far as to explain that a dealer can set the system to "service mode". This prevents the security system from activating yet allows the bike to be started and ridden w/o the fob. I am betting that the dealer did that prior to the trike being put into the rental fleet. That way, they simply handed a key to the rentee with the instruction to lock the bike fork lock at all times when off the bike. Just as we had to do before the advent of the security system being shoved down our throats.

The Siren plug is in the upper right ..... parked in a blank plug socket. (one pic shows as stock, 2nd with siren module in it's slot above the 50 amp fuse and plugged in)
The Siren module goes into the open slot below it.

Bob :D

Siren 4.jpgSiren 8.jpg

If you have the owner's manual, there is an entire section devoted to the security system. Pg 101 of the '16 MY owners manual even goes so far as to explain that a dealer can set the system to "service mode". This prevents the security system from activating yet allows the bike to be started and ridden w/o the fob. I am betting that the dealer did that prior to the trike being put into the rental fleet. That way, they simply handed a key to the rentee with the instruction to lock the bike fork lock at all times when off the bike. Just as we had to do before the advent of the security system being shoved down our throats.

Reading the owners manual is what got me started on all this. I remember seeing that in there. And I remember the dealership instructing me to do the fork lock thing....

I did a Radio Shack siren.. cost-$6.00 each, bought 2 & hooked together. Talk about loud.....WOW

Details? Part number? Could you upload a shot of where/how you connected it and tied it/them down? Appreciate it...

Here is pic of siren .will try to find a part # They r side by side. Maybe 2x3 in. Just plug wires into the plug used for HD siren
Radio Shack Alarm 001.JPGRadio Shack Alarm 002.JPG

I dont have the flashing of the speedometer light every three seconds, nor the double flash of the turn signals when I turn the ignition off. I am able to change the pin. I cant find anything in the owners manual about activating the alarm. What am I missing?

UPDATE:

I was at the dealership today and ran this by the mechanic. The outcome was that yes, they turn off the security system on rentals and they made an error in not catching that and turning it back on before it left the dealership. No charge to reactivate it whenever I am ready to put it back on the road this spring. Good news.

Sadly, the factory security system on the trike stinks in ways I never imagined. Short of attempting to start it w/o the fob in close proximity, it takes one hell of a lot to set it off.

Mikey,
In a conversation today with the mechanics, they said when they program the security, the software asks if the unit they are working on is a trike. Since it doesn't lean on a jiffy stand, the trike has different parameters for security activation. Is it possible yours is incorrect? Just FWIW.

Nope. Mine is set correctly. To set mine off, I either have to rock it side to side, like I'm trying to shake the air bubbles out of the tank when fueling or, turn on the ignition switch without having the fob on me.

Back