Handling...

Jul 18, 2015
Decatur, IL USA
OK, I've had the Transformer long enough and enough miles in the saddle that I should have it mastered. Not the case and I need some input.

The ride is very comfortable and steering is pretty much effortless. My problem is curves and turns. My friends on TriGlides kick my ass in the curves. I always feel like I'm going to tip or get thrown off the high side if I try to do a curve at anything over 35 mph. I get the same effect on high crown country roads. Interstate ramps have been the worst. Turns from stop are always slow too.

Is it just me or is there a way to remedy this? I thought the IRS would handle better than the factory straight axles. My first thought is to set the rear shocks up a notch. I hate to lose the ride, but if it works...

I'm up for suggestions...Thanks!:confused:

Dave,I think Hannigan just sets up the suspension really soft for best ride quality. Turn the shocks up a few notches and that will make a big difference. Won't hurt the ride much,either.

My shocks are still like Hannigan set them and we ride two up with a trunk full most of the time. I had some trouble adjusting to a trike. After reading here, talking to some friends, and experimenting I found accelerating all the way through a turn makes a big difference. If I feel uncomfortable in a curve I roll into the throttle a little and all is well. I will give a car, trike and some bikes a hard time in the curves. Give that a try and see what you think. The wife cannot keep up with me in her Impala even on a wet crooked road.

Set the shocks up, Go find a parking lot and start doing figure 8's, increase the speed as you get better.
Also, downward pressure on the outside foot in a turn eliminates the "high side" feeling.

This helped

Also, downward pressure on the outside foot in a turn eliminates the "high side" feeling.

I did a poker run this weekend. I did not have time to get the shocks upped. I tried the foot pressure on the outside and it helped a lot. The next day we rode two-up and I had my wife do it too.

Thanks!

PS - I've done the EMT/Medic thing for 40 years now...

I try to put my outside foot on the highway peg in a faster turn. Borrowing some technique from driving a car on the race track, be on the gas as you go through the curve, the trike will feel much more planted.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png