My FLRT "6 Gallon" Tank Takes 5 Gallons of Gas?

Re: My FLRT "6 Gallon" Tank Takes 5 Gallons of Gas?

That's what I'm talking about ThumbUp:AllGood:

OpinOnated: Pay no attention to the Harley apologists. There is a large group of riders that would be OK if Harley put wheels and a motor on a turd. If anyone complained about the smell, the apologists would call that "trivial crap" They would say, "just hold your nose and ride it. It's a Harley" :laugh:

OK, I'll change my tune. ONLY 5 GALLONS!!!! I'd unload that piece of **** and get a good Honda Trike.....if they made one. They don't shake, rattle, or roll. They shift easily all the time, and never stall. With all that plastic they weigh less and are faster. Why anyone would buy an American Manufactured, American Owned motorcycle is beyond me. Everyone knows that American Designed and Manufactured motor vehicles are crap, crap, crap.

There, another 'honest' opinion.

Merry Christmas and an outstanding new year..... even though your motorcycle only holds 5 gallons instead of the advertised 6 :D

Oh, I am truly a Harley Snob!!

OK, I'll change my tune. ONLY 5 GALLONS!!!! I'd unload that piece of **** and get a good Honda Trike.....if they made one. They don't shake, rattle, or roll. They shift easily all the time, and never stall. With all that plastic they weigh less and are faster. Why anyone would buy an American Manufactured, American Owned motorcycle is beyond me. Everyone knows that American Designed and Manufactured motor vehicles are crap, crap, crap.

There, another 'honest' opinion.

Merry Christmas and an outstanding new year..... even though your motorcycle only holds 5 gallons instead of the advertised 6 :D

Oh, I am truly a Harley Snob!!

:clapping::clapping::clapping::Santa:

I ran mine for a little while after the "gas tank" light came on and put 5.5 gals in mine...so does that make my tank larger or more empty...:xzqxz:

- - - Updated - - -

BTW ...I do shake my tank and can add even more...the trike is harder to get full than the Road King was...

6 Gallon" Tank Takes 5 Gallons of Gas

I took the advice, and carried a gallon of gas in the trunk , and went on ride. This Icon light came on. and It showed 45 miles to empty. I rode for the 45 miles, and the numbers went to zero, followed by the letters LOW RNG. I zeroed my B mile counter and continued riding. I rode for 30 mile and the bike began to hesitate, lucky for me I was very close to a gas station, plus a had the extra gallon of gas in the trunk. I pulled in to filler up and I put 5.83 gallons of gas. the story is. Its a 6 gallon tank, and when the light come on you have approx. two gallon of gas still in the tank.

That is why everyone can only put 4 gallons of gas when the Icon turns on. After filling the tank the Reserve numbes went to 229. Now I know my trike's capacity for fuel and mileage. I hope it helps someone!!!

Glad you took the step and got that information for yourself. Just others need to be aware that that is not fact for all. For example my light comes on at .8 gallons left. I have run it dry to know that. When it says zero I am out of gas. I have put 5.9 gallons in. There is a term they use in airplanes called usable fuel. Not all fuel pump sit in the tank exactly the same. Or because of tire pressure and other factors the tank is not perfectly level as far as the fuel is concerned. There also is the fact that the gas tends to run to the rear of the tank at speed do to gravity.

Most tanks will be close to what the factory intended but the only way to be sure is to go out and give it a test as you did. These variations is what determines your usable fuel. Its there but the fuel pump can not get to it it does you little good. It is nice to know that usable fuel figure for your own trike.

Thomastrike

IF you noticed, there is a cylinder inside the filler hole. When you stick the gasoline hose in the hole it extends about an inch inside the tank. When gas reaches the end of the nozzle the fuel shuts off, leaving the fuel about an inch blow the top of the tank, thus 5 gallons instead of 6. The tank has the capacity of 6 gallons it would take a while to tinkle that last gallon in.

Ride that scoot, stop worrying about trivial crap. Harleys wiggle, jiggle, squeak and rattle. They clunk when you shift, and it takes a couple of thousand miles to find N easily. Sometimes at lights they just stall for the hell of it. Your Tri-Glide and / or Freewheeler have basically the same running gear and other stuff as a 2 wheeler. If you have ridden Harleys for any amount of time you just get used to Harley idiosyncrasies... Take it for a long ride, see the sights, smell the smells.

Enjoy the freedom. Somewhere around 100 to 150 miles find a gas station, have a coke, smoke, or a pee. Stretch your legs, thank God for the fun you are having, and get back on and ride some more.

Well said Screwball.
Navy vet and Patriot Guard rider ThumbUp

5gal v 6gal tank

The last gallon has to go in slow and easy as you "BURP" the tank to get the air out. It takes awhile but it will hold 6 gall if you are willing to take the time.

IF you noticed, there is a cylinder inside the filler hole. When you stick the gasoline hose in the hole it extends about an inch inside the tank. When gas reaches the end of the nozzle the fuel shuts off, leaving the fuel about an inch blow the top of the tank, thus 5 gallons instead of 6. The tank has the capacity of 6 gallons it would take a while to tinkle that last gallon in.

Ride that scoot, stop worrying about trivial crap. Harleys wiggle, jiggle, squeak and rattle. They clunk when you shift, and it takes a couple of thousand miles to find N easily. Sometimes at lights they just stall for the hell of it. Your Tri-Glide and / or Freewheeler have basically the same running gear and other stuff as a 2 wheeler. If you have ridden Harleys for any amount of time you just get used to Harley idiosyncrasies... Take it for a long ride, see the sights, smell the smells. Enjoy the freedom. Somewhere around 100 to 150 miles find a gas station, have a coke, smoke, or a pee. Stretch your legs, thank God for the fun you are having, and get back on and ride some more.

Ride that scoot, stop worrying about trivial crap. Harleys wiggle, jiggle, squeak and rattle. They clunk when you shift, and it takes a couple of thousand miles to find N easily. Sometimes at lights they just stall for the hell of it. Your Tri-Glide and / or Freewheeler have basically the same running gear and other stuff as a 2 wheeler. If you have ridden Harleys for any amount of time you just get used to Harley idiosyncrasies... Take it for a long ride, see the sights, smell the smells. Enjoy the freedom. Somewhere around 100 to 150 miles find a gas station, have a coke, smoke, or a pee. Stretch your legs, thank God for the fun you are having, and get back on and ride some more.
This is THE BEST description of what it's about to own a Harley that I think I've ever read. Thanks to Screwball for writing this.

4.4 gallons is the max I put in, I know hd says we get 49 mpg but the #5 foot note says other wise, this is based on 5 gallons not 6 and your riding habits I still get 55 mpg and have NOT run out of gas, My buddy a HD tech says I am riding it like an old lady, I can shift into 6th gear @ 2k RPM