Non-op Reverse Question

Hey y'all! Recently picked up a used 2017 Tri Glide with <20k miles. All has been good until recently when reverse quit working.

So, I know that the reverse motor is a weak component and this may just be my time to rebuild it, but my question is a bit more complicated.

We had some rainy days recently so I set about doing some mods/upgrades while I had the time. I installed the HD Rider's Backrest and mounting kit, and also installed a DK Customs Comfort lift kit. Both installs went pretty much as expected, and I took the bike for a test spin around the neighborhood. That's when I noticed that the reverse no longer functioned. I pulled the side cover and sure enough the breaker was tripped, so I reset it, but no joy.

As one should when something like this happens, I went back and retraced my steps to see if I did something to cause this problem. That's when I noticed a wire hanging below the frame that was not connected to anything. Looks like a ground strap of some kind (pics attached). I went over the instructions for both mods I had done and no where was there a mention of a ground wire to watch out for.

Anyway, does anyone have any idea where this wire is supposed to attach and could it be the reason reverse isn't working?

Attachments

• 20230429_135844.jpg
    20230429_135844.jpg
    798.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 20230429_135849.jpg
    20230429_135849.jpg
    787.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 20230429_135858.jpg
    20230429_135858.jpg
    792.5 KB · Views: 51
Did the reverse work for you and then quit or it never worked? I would take the reverse motor and bench test it. It’s what I did on my 14 then rebuilt it.

Don`t remove the motor until you figure out where that extra wire goes...

First did reverse ever work being he bought it used…And maybe the previous owner discontinued the ground wire for a reason…..?… Second if it did work and he left the ground wire off by mistake..If it was me I would just find a good ground and put it on ‘ And then if the breaker trips then it’s the motor… Most likely the brushes are bad/sticking…That was the problem with my 2011 Triglide…Twice till I rebuilt it…When it went again I went with a mechanical reverse….

Follow the cable to see where it ends. Look @ this diagram, I bet #19 ( ground cable) is what is disconnected, Take off your RS cover and then wiggle or pull slightly on the disconnected cable, do you see any movement there?

Medium

We don`t know yet that the wire in question is a ground wire...

It may very well be a power wire, they are all black.

Use an ohmmeter to determine if it is ground, one probe to negative battery post, the other to the loose end of the wire.:)

I don`t understand why people are assuming the loose wire is a ground wire.

You must find the other end to be sure.

Use an ohmmeter to determine if it is ground, one probe to negative battery post, the other to the loose end of the wire.

Very good question, you may be right about it being a power wire

The OP has not come forward with any more info since his first post here, maybe he will give us more info going forward

I agree he needs to follow the cable in question to see where it ends first

I don`t understand why people are assuming the loose wire is a ground wire.

Use an ohmmeter to determine if it is ground, one probe to negative battery post, the other to the loose end of the wire.:)

All/Most are black......But the Positive/ Hot have a Red collar on the Terminal Ends...

It isn’t the first time that a First time poster just faded away…. there’s been quite a few….But the information given out here will help someone else..👍

What really tightens my jaw is new members first posts asking for help with their problems, then they never come back

I dunno why many of these posters do not take the time to introduce themselves and their ride in the New members area first

What really tightens my jaw is new members first posts asking for help with their problems, then they never come back

I dunno why many of these posters do not take the time to introduce themselves and their ride in the New members area first

Maybe something could be coded in where first time posters have to introduce them selves in the New Members section before they can make a second post?

We don`t know yet that the wire in question is a ground wire...

Um..... if it is unknown to be hot/not, I'd probably use a voltmeter to ground (ignition on, and ignition off) THEN if 0v, use the ohmmeter.

But that's just me.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daddy Lew
Back