Passenger hand rails

Rev J

100+ Posts
Wife and I loving the Tri glide. She likes the handrails but would like to have a cushion on the metal part. I know Harley makes a metal with plastic cover but not digging it.

I was wondering if someone here has made a cover and if so what materials. I'm thinking along the lines of foam insulation for pipes and covering it with leather or vinyl of some sort. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance, Richard.

I made some grips for mine. Take some old leather and black pipe insulation. Sew the leather then measure the insulation to fit. wrap a string tightly around the insulation (this makes it smaller) slide the leather over it and and carefully remove the string. Make sure the string sticks out of one end. wala ur done.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I made some grips for mine. Take some old leather and black pipe insulation. Sew the leather then measure the insulation to fit. wrap a string tightly around the insulation (this makes it smaller) slide the leather over it and and carefully remove the string. Make sure the string sticks out of one end. wala ur done.

For got to say put leather around the rail before sewing.

LOL.

My wife likes them.

Put the part u sew on the bottom and its not seen. I have it up so u can see how its done.

attachment.php

attachment.php

For got to say put leather around the rail before sewing.

My wife likes them. LOL

I was wondering if someone here has made a cover and if so what materials. I'm thinking along the lines of foam insulation for pipes and covering it with leather or vinyl of some sort. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance, Richard.

Just a thought....I'd be careful covering them.....my wife uses the grips when I'm throwing the Trike thru the twisties {then she asks me to take it down a notch} So the only time she uses them is when she needs a good grip. I'd be afraid the a cover, in whatever form, would twist in the hand and around the handle itself. Thinking that might defeat the idea of the grip? Just me?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks, that's kinda what I was thinking, Richard.

Just a thought....I'd be careful covering them.....my wife uses the grips when I'm throwing the Trike thru the twisties {then she asks me to take it down a notch} So the only time she uses them is when she needs a good grip. I'd be afraid the a cover, in whatever form, would twist in the hand and around the handle itself. Thinking that might defeat the idea of the grip? Just me?

Thanks for your input. I will definitely keep that in mind, Richard.

I added the Harley aftermarket grips soon after we bought TG. they have a nice rubber insert, easy install, and looks good to boot. very practical for the 1st officer.

I haven't done this yet, but consider using bicycle handlebar wrap tape. Comes available in leather or cork/rubber combination.

2014 - Wife likes them. P/N 91668-05. I ran a bottoming tap thru all the holes to clean out the plating and they went together very easy. Another option is a change out to the Kuryakyn hand rails: (which fit all year TGs) http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/1793/passenger-grab-rails

Bob :Dorag:

View attachment 44753

Wow $160.00 and all I spent was $0. and some of my time. I put mine on because out here in the summer time it gets to be a cool 110 plus. To each his own.

yepper, those are what I have. back in 2013 I paid $64.

They look nice , but I'm trying to not put chrome there as its gets hot here. Thats the reason I did what I did with the foam and leather covering. If u lived in Nevada where the sun really gets HOT u would understand.

images.jpegMy wife prefers the stock grips and using padded palm motorcycle gloves. Fingerless for expensive fingernails. She says this is by far the most secure feeling for her in the curves,

Back