Shift banging?

Service Writer at the local dealer told me his Bagger is the same way and they have tried everything to quiet it down.

A parts guy at another dealership told me it's caused by me not clutching and shifting correctly (after 50 years of riding).

NAH, i dunno about that

IMO it is the stinkin hydraulic clutch

not enough free travel to completely disengage the clutch

Just an up-date for the noisy shift. When I had the Bel-ray put in the tranny. It worked way better than the stuff they put in at the factory. Well, I've noticed that when the trike is cold, I could'nt even tell that it shifted it was so quiet. After it warmed up, there came my old noisy shift back. Maybe it will get better with time? I don't know. Damn, I thought I had it fixed.

You did as much as you can for now

As the gears wear I dunno if it gets any better

Mine does NOT clunk

I have tried many lubes on my 15 and 17

The 17 likes Lucas lube, even better than Red Line

I am shocked but happy

Plus I am still working on an adjustment. got it down to some milling work now

I hope to test it soon SOON NO more CLUNK at all and an adjustment? I sure hope so

I also use Bel-Ray 85W-140 in my 2014. WAY BETTER than just engine oil.Choose ANY real gear oil product for your transmission and you will be much happier.FWIW I use H-D Formula+ in my Primary .... again an oil specifically designed for primary/clutch.Bob :Dorag:

I too use a 140 tranny oil {Amsoil Severe Gear} and it helps a lot. But nothing can stop the "clunk"

I can't really remember if my first Ultra and Wide Glide clunked this loud or not. My last Ultra (2013) before the Trike did when it was warmed up, which is really all the time in SW Florida. But my Trike is really loud, I swear you can hear my gears clunk a block away! I'm sticking with Syn-3 until warranty is up probably.

Every once and a while when I go to 1st from neutral it won't make a sound ' Now that really sacreds the crap �� outa me! I thought something broke ����

I find that my '17 slips into 1st quietly if I wait a second or three to shift after pulling in the clutch. Otherwise, otherwise.

I can't really remember if my first Ultra and Wide Glide clunked this loud or not. My last Ultra (2013) before the Trike did when it was warmed up, which is really all the time in SW Florida. But my Trike is really loud, I swear you can hear my gears clunk a block away! I'm sticking with Syn-3 until warranty is up probably.

Have a look at Redlines oictures of the gears bluednd blueing on the shifter forks fro using syn 3 or other oils, it is quite a good read with the pictures

Had a HD service manager tell me he uses Red Line tranny and primary fluids in his personal bike. Good enough for me........ThumbUp

I bought a 17 TG last month and will be taking it in soon for the initial 1k service. After reading through this thread and the link to the redline tech document, I'm wondering if I can request Redline Lube for the Engine, tranny, & primary? Will HD Service balk and force me to use the house brand only?

I bought a 17 TG last month and will be taking it in soon for the initial 1k service. After reading through this thread and the link to the redline tech document, I'm wondering if I can request Redline Lube for the Engine, tranny, & primary? Will HD Service balk and force me to use the house brand only?

At my 1000 mile service i requested Lucas full syn in the engine and Bel Ray in the trans,they said no problem.

Not even HD can force ANYTHING on you

It is ILLEGAL unless they offer it for free

If they say it will VOID your warranty you got them

http://www.taftlaw.com/news/publica...g-an-unauthorized-part-will-void-the-warranty

Randy and I talked to the service writer at our dealership and he told us they use the RED LINE for the Bikes out here.

Knowing him and having dealing with him for the last 3 yrs his word is good enough for me. :D.

This is our 9th Harley and It never bothered me before but I think time to see if it works next time. Thanks for all our comments on this subject ThumbUp

Back