starter gear teeth 12v 1600 vw of the gear

bluedog

Jul 12, 2013
Bernardo NM usa
Are the gear teeth number the same on all 12v starters and the diam of the gear or should I have to match starter to fly wheel .I bought a part built trike with trans axle installed but the engine is a 1978 import converted from fuel injection I grouned out the bell housing a little for the fly wheel not to touch. should i worry about the starter?

As far as I know all 12v type 1's are the same. The 6v is different.
If you had to grind the bell housing it sounds like you have a 6v tranny. Which is not a problem. Would need an adapter bushing and a 12 starter.
Is it a swing axle or irs? All the swing type 1's except for the last couple years are geared real low. You would need some tall tires or a gear change if you have a light vehicle.

IRS. The starter that came with it is 12v and the bell has the 12v bush.I am new with VW air cooled engines and this the first trike.Please be patient trikers i need all the help i can get. But i am retired and have plenty of time Thanks in advance Bluedog

Sounds like you should be good then. I would not doubt there were combinations and options that were not imported to the states. I had a non import sedan with weird options and lacking the safety options of an import model.
I am unaware of any other 12v starter and rings for the type 1.

I have hot rodded the type 1 and have built one trike. But I didn't build it the normal way.

If it is an irs it probably has 4.125 gears, which will be ok overall. A freeway flyer is nice in a highway bike.

Ask any questions you have. Everyone here will try to help.

Is your 78 engine a type 1 bug engine or type 2 van engine if is a type 2 that why you had to clearance the bell housing. Send me some pictures so I can help you out.

I was told it is 1600 type 1 duel port doghouse. don't know how to post pictures yet but i will learn. The good news is i set it up with temporary wireing a squirt of easy start
it fired up first try .

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png