Hello from Central Cali

oldschool

5+ Posts
Apr 6, 2024
Central Cali
Good day,

My name is Ed and I have been on 2 wheels for 46 years. From Honda to Harley Davidsons. I currently own a 2003 Electra Glide Classic (Police Special). I attached a photo of it.

I'm in the early stage of going down the trike road, not sure what direction to go with yet. I like to keep what I got and turn it into a trike.

I'm looking at the Voyager as well as the DNA and Frankenstein. I'm leaning toward the Voyager however, I'm still not sure of the 3 tires in the rear.

As far as the other conversion, the DNA seems like I would be able to keep my bags as with the Voyager, as where the Frankenstein is more of an open kit. The Frankenstein seems to be a quality kit just not into the open kit.

Of course, I could sell my current bike and just pick up a used Tri glide.

So many choices and it is how I made it here.

The site seems to cover all areas of trike options.

I figure while I still have some wrenching years left in me this was a good time to start looking into a trike option.

I hope to learn as much as I can from the site to make the right decision that will work for me.

Thx for having this type of site.

oldschool

Attachments

• IMG_2110.2.jpg
    IMG_2110.2.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 17,618
Welcome Newbie !

From a newbie.

I just swapped from a 2015 Road Glide, to a 2015 Freewheeler. Cost a few thousand more plus some upgrades I will be doing. Certainly less than buying a kit, and installing on the RG.

I believe in the 103. Earlier have guide issues, later have oil issues. So, for a Freewheeler, I only had a choice of 2015 and 2016.

Was watching my area for over six months, prior to the "new to me" purchase. Suggest JD Power for values. Alot of people over value

their ride/really do not want to sell it. Watch for tires aging out.

Suggest you test ride. I tried a Sporty conversion, Dyna conversion, Freewheeler, Street glide conversion, and a Tri Glide. To me, there is a difference in handling. Remember that good two wheeler riding technique is about "pushing", which even more important on the trike.

Good luck !

Good day,

My name is Ed and I have been on 2 wheels for 46 years. From Honda to Harley Davidsons. I currently own a 2003 Electra Glide Classic (Police Special). I attached a photo of it.

I'm in the early stage of going down the trike road, not sure what direction to go with yet. I like to keep what I got and turn it into a trike.

I'm looking at the Voyager as well as the DNA and Frankenstein. I'm leaning toward the Voyager however, I'm still not sure of the 3 tires in the rear.

As far as the other conversion, the DNA seems like I would be able to keep my bags as with the Voyager, as where the Frankenstein is more of an open kit. The Frankenstein seems to be a quality kit just not into the open kit.

Of course, I could sell my current bike and just pick up a used Tri glide.

So many choices and it is how I made it here.

The site seems to cover all areas of trike options.

I figure while I still have some wrenching years left in me this was a good time to start looking into a trike option.

I hope to learn as much as I can from the site to make the right decision that will work for me.

Thx for having this type of site.

oldschool

welcome to Trike Talk’ Ed…..👍👍..

Welcome Ed based on what I interpret from what you wrote I think you should look strongly at the Frankenstein. You keep your current configuration but get a SOLID trike setup. I've not heard of a bad thing about a Frankenstein. And you build it yourself. That mostly also depends on how solid your 2003 is.

WELCOME ABOARD

Hey thank you for the warm welcome all..

Welcome Newbie !

From a newbie.

I just swapped from a 2015 Road Glide, to a 2015 Freewheeler. Cost a few thousand more plus some upgrades I will be doing. Certainly less than buying a kit, and installing on the RG.

I believe in the 103. Earlier have guide issues, later have oil issues. So, for a Freewheeler, I only had a choice of 2015 and 2016.

Was watching my area for over six months, prior to the "new to me" purchase. Suggest JD Power for values. Alot of people over value

their ride/really do not want to sell it. Watch for tires aging out.

Suggest you test ride. I tried a Sporty conversion, Dyna conversion, Freewheeler, Street glide conversion, and a Tri Glide. To me, there is a difference in handling. Remember that good two wheeler riding technique is about "pushing", which even more important on the trike.

Good luck !

Puckoach, thanks for the suggestion. To be honest the Freewheeler is not my style. But I will test ride a Tri Glide and/or a Street Glide trike at some point probaly when the Harley dealer gets any in. I do understand about the push/pull system on the trikes.

Welcome Ed based on what I interpret from what you wrote I think you should look strongly at the Frankenstein. You keep your current configuration but get a SOLID trike setup. I've not heard of a bad thing about a Frankenstein. And you build it yourself. That mostly also depends on how solid your 2003 is.

WELCOME ABOARD

Gorilla yeah, I do like the Frankenstein kits. It is an open kit and I would lose my bags with that kit. I did notice on the website their offering Frankenstein DNA kits that they go through. I can still fit my bags on a DNA kit. I just don't know if I can do it on their DNA kit. However, I didn’t see any available for the touring class. Guess I'll give them a call on Monday.

My 2003 is a solid bike with only 4,700 miles on it. It has a stage 2 kit currently. However, if I turn this one into an actual trike, I'll be adding a big bore kit and maybe port the heads. With rider and passenger loaded down its probably hitting that 1200 lbs. mark, honestly the bike doesn’t feel it. Lights are all LEDs, radio and speakers upgraded as well.

It has that many miles because I have always had more than 1 bike and kinda neglected this one over the years. Ever since retirement this has been the only bike I ride now.

Now I’m in the process selling off the fleet since major back surgery which left me with some mobility issues on my right side. Sold 2 bikes and just gave my Honda 350 dirt bike to my kid. Down to 2 to sell.

Thx for the suggestion.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png