portable gas can in trunk of trike

May 25, 2013
Keokuk, Iowa
My Ultra Classic motortrike with a 103 gets maybe 30 mpg now and then and I've almost run out of gas several times. Can you safely carry a gal of gas in the bottom trunk? I suppose it has to be vented somehow. Does anyone sell something like this! It runs good and sounds good with 91 octane. On the road, if I have to make a choice, think I would go for 87 octane rather then 91 with 10% ethanol just from listening to the motor.:xzqxz:

I use hi-test as the owners manual says. I carry a gal of gas in my trunk in a one gal can. I have had no problems at all. I don't even get a gas smell in the trunk. HD has a one gal gas can that is designed to fit in a saddlebag, I was told that it is about six times as thick as what you would buy at wally and no odor at all. My wally works fine for me. I have no venting, do not fill it up completely. I like the feeling knowing I have an extra gal with me.

Last edited:
you need to fill up` at 1/4 tank, so you keep the fuel pump from heating up. also carrying a gas container is a ver ybad idea. whatif you get rear-ended. it happens.

Wife and I can go about 165 miles safely on a tank of gas. Tri-Glides have a 6 gallon tank. Around 100 miles I just need to stand up, so we fill up more than we have to, good on my legs and butt. I personally wouldn't want an extra gallon of gas in my trunk, not really interested in riding a Molotov cocktail. Most don't think that is really safe, up to you I guess. Harley recommends 92 octane. I guess you could put whatever you wanted into it. This has been discussed here A LOT. I just figured if they recommend it, why not. You will only save a buck a tank using he cheap stuff.

Good Luck.

I only carry an extra gallon when on long trips. I strap it to outside rack. It has saved me a couple of times. Usually I note what my mpg is and fill up accordingly. If at night, usually more often.

IMO carrying fuel in the trunk is a poor idea. My 2010 HD trike gets very good mileage and I plan my stops accordingly (normal 100 miles) and depending on my throttle wrist have gone many times 200 miles per tank. Even here out-west
that's plenty to get from point A to point B without worrying about fuel.
Note, love that Stage 2 in my 103!

The gas can sold by Harley dealers has a positive seal which you can't buy anymore with the new EPA laws. The new cans don't seal worth a cr#p !
I carry one if I am going to be on unfamiliar roads. You never know for sure if those gas stops are going to be open all the time. Or what if you decide to take a detour somewhere along the way? Can't because you didn't plan it in ?? Also I like to travel back roads. Not the freeway ! There are a lot of Mom & Pop stations on those roads. Nothing to guarantee times !
Be CAREFUL of the container you carry. Do a search on the internet for the containers. They are formed to fit in saddlebags & are heavier. Might be a better price than HD's. Same maker also!

Well for the most part I don't have the need to carry extra gas. It really don't make much difference how big my gas tank is I only got a 100 mile bladder, LOL. So I normally top off the tank off when I stop. My wife plans my road trips and maps them for me so my stops are planned before I leave home. She plans the stops to be where there is a gas station and for the most part I even know which stations have premium gas. If I do need to stop at one that don't have premium gas I always carry octane boost so no problem there. For the most part she plans my stops between 75 and 125 miles and for the most part theres always a gas station with in that 50 mile range. But there has been times when I've stopped and toped off the tank when I've only riden 40 or 50 miles because I know the next station is a bit farther than I care to push it.
But the bottom line is just about every time I stop I top off the tank.
So I guess one could say that every time I stop to empty I also fill up.
Dan

I have an 2005 so its a 5 Gal tank. Checked my mileage a while back and got 32mpg. I usually stop at 100 miles but some times have to stretch it and am not comfortable doing that. Someone here said to stay above 1/4 tank so you don't over heat the fuel pump. A friend mine has a 97 bagger (not sure of model but it is a big bike) with a 3 Gal tank. He was thinking about triking it but with just 3 Gal tank that probably would not be a good idea. I have a gas can that has a trigger you have to pull to get the gas to flow. As I said I get no gas smell in the trunk at all. I don't see the difference in storing it on the rack or in the trunk. If you get hit in the rear hard enough to get the gas can I would think you would be thrown from the trike.

Ok, thanks, I like the outside container solution and have a fairly large space right next to the front of the rear fenders. When my gas light comes on, I'm suppose to have exactly one gallon of gas left which is about 26-30 miles. Any truth in this as I don't want to run out of gas just to prove it.

The H-D dealers have 1gal. Cans for sale that were designed to fit in the angled part of the touring bikes saddlebags, I can only go about 104 miles on my 2.80 gal. Tank on my trike, so I have (on a few rides) asked my friend Dean to give me a gal, he always keeps this can on his ultra. I don't see why it would be bad to keep one in our trunks. If interested look up : Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Reda Portable Motorcycle Gas Can - 1 Gallon

I have the Reda 1 gal. can. But I see they have also gone to the newer style nozzle. I have the older style that has a good seal on it ! The new Reda jugs are 29.95 for the 1gal.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png