Accessories, relays, and fuse boxes

Dec 17, 2012
Richmond, VA, US
I need a relay for each of the following:

fairing radio
auxiliary outlet
light bar
louder horns

Does it make sense to have so many relays or should I install a fuse box?

Install one fuse block and power it thru a relay that only activates when the bike is on (switched by lights coming on is a good option). Make sure to use 10 or 12 gauge wire with an inline fuse between the battery and relay. Mount the relay/fuse block close to the battery; under the seat or a side cover are likely spots. You can then run a bundle of wires, suitably wrapped, from the fuse block to the steering head area. Be sure to include a 10 or 12 gauge ground wire in the bundle (I put a 6mm eyelet on the accessory end and use this for all the ground connections). Run as many wires as you have spots for fuses plus one for convenience.
I leaned, after a number of bikes, that it is easier to run wires once, rather than each time I wanted to add a farkle.
Autozone, O'Reilys, Advance, and NAPA all carry fuse blocks for around $10 with 6 or 8 fuse plugs. A standard 30 amp driving light relay will work.

my question is why do you say you NEED a relay for each item. depending on the total current draw, and the current rating of the relay, you could run all items through 1 relay.
as Kawabeemer said make sure you use a guage of wire capable of handling the total current. do you want to use a relay so that the items wont opperate if the ignition is off?
i would fuse between the battery and the power on side of the relay at above the total current draw of all items. the ignition input will only draw a very low current,
then each item should be fused as per the manufacturers recomendation.
if you can give a good description of what you want to achieve, im more than happy to do a circuit diagram for you

I need a relay for each of the following:

fairing radio
auxiliary outlet
light bar
louder horns

Does it make sense to have so many relays or should I install a fuse box?

I think you should do both. Install a fuse panel along with 3 relays. The radio and aux outlet could be on one relay but the lights and horns should definitely have their own relays! When I wired up my Spyder I installed a separate harness with fuse block and a block of 7 separate relays for lights, heated gear, accessories and horns.

Radio and aux do not need relays. Overkill. Horn aux lights yes for sure
Radio and aux ( unless you plan to plug some high power device into the aux or are planning to add a big amp to the radio. ) do not use enough power.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png