17 inch low profile tires?

Reaction score
We sold our 2003 Godwing trike last November. We recently bought a 2012 Goldwing with the California Side Car Viper kit. It came with the 17 inch wheels with the low profile tires. I have had some problems with vibration when I reach 69 MPH. The dealer told me I could bring it back and he would put the chrome 15 inch wheels on it. We called California Side Car and they recommend using the 15 inch wheels. Does anyone have any pros or cons with the 17 inch low profile tires?

I have 17's on my Roadsmith but I've never had her up over 65 mph and I haven't noticed any vibration so far. As for the 17" wheels, they came with the trike. I personally have never been a fan of these 'low profile' tires. If I could swap mine out for a new set of 15's, I would do so. I also believe that you would get a smoother ride with the 15" for the mere fact that you have more of a side-wall. Just my preference and opinion. ;)

We sold our 2003 Godwing trike last November. We recently bought a 2012 Goldwing with the California Side Car Viper kit. It came with the 17 inch wheels with the low profile tires. I have had some problems with vibration when I reach 69 MPH. The dealer told me I could bring it back and he would put the chrome 15 inch wheels on it. We called California Side Car and they recommend using the 15 inch wheels. Does anyone have any pros or cons with the 17 inch low profile tires?

If you don't want to change, try using balancing beads in your tires. I use them because my shop recogmended.
You can't lose, it would only cost you maybe $5 per tire, don't forget if you do to buy the weight needed for an automobile tires.
Good luck.

Regards,

Rosy

1. Be careful with the beads and read the mfg's recommendations. Some mfg don't recommend them in wide tires.

2. whether you have 15 or 17 inch wheels shouldn't matter to how the wheels balance. I had a balance problem on my 16" wheels until I took the wheels to my Chevy dealer who has sophisticated balance equipment and they resolved the problem. They can also identify tires that are out of spec for several reasons which are not apparent on simple balance machines that most places use.

3. I have a friend with a RS like mine who has 17" low profile tires and he has no problem with balance. Additionally, in our Ark. twisties the trike corners much better because the low profile tires' sidewalls don't flex like the standard tire. As usual, it's a tradeoff; better ride or better handling.

You are correct in the fact they do recommend you use weights, then use the beads also. Dyna Beads says the low profile tires are very dificult to balance and they do not recommend using beads alone.
For more info go to Dyna beads and they will spell everything out.

Regards,

Rosy
From NH

Thanks to all for their input. After talking with others I deceded to go with the 15 inch.

Just a "Personal Point of View" here.....problem "probably" isn't a Balance Problem, but a near zero "Road Absorption" problem. Rigid, Low Flex, Low Sidewall Tires are Great on Cars, especially when doing "spirited cornering", but extremely rigid, and non-forgiving on a much lighter Trike. Same reason that even with taller sidewall 15" Car Tires the air pressures need to be lower than the Manufacturers recommended pressures for Cars.....GOOD LUCK with the Fifteens.....ThumbUp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LTCBB77
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png