windshield

Do you look over the windshield or like looking thru it, We went with a 12" re-curve from Freedom Shields. I have to look through it but it solved the buffeting and the Misses is really happy about it also.

I have a dozen

And we only use one Long ride shields flat top old 6" or 7" maybe best I have found at a good price around a holiday sales. Good luck my bride loves the lack of wind in her ears, she doesn't want me to ever change it.

DSC00994.JPGDSC00999.JPGDSC01020.JPGDSC01027.JPG

I need to do something about the wind buffering. What is a good windshield that would help the buffering?

I use a LRS recurve during the winter to keep the cold wind to a minimum.

There are two other things you can do to reduce wind buffeting...they also help your engine run cooler/stronger.

A Tank Lift Kit

Cooling Deflector Wings

Both of the two items above take air that would normally hit your chest and travel up to your head (causing buffeting) and they redirect that air over the engine.

The net results are a reduction in buffeting and a cooler running engine.

Kevin

I was down to just two LRS windshields so I recently ordered another one. It is an 11" lite tint flat top wide and I look over it.

I had Kevin's tank raising kit and deflectors on my 2016. I do believe they reduced some of the wind but were not a complete solution. Haven't decided if I'll add them to my 2019 or not yet.

I use a LRS recurve during the winter to keep the cold wind to a minimum.

There are two other things you can do to reduce wind buffeting...they also help your engine run cooler/stronger.

A Tank Lift Kit

Cooling Deflector Wings

Both of the two items above take air that would normally hit your chest and travel up to your head (causing buffeting) and they redirect that air over the engine.

The net results are a reduction in buffeting and a cooler running engine.

Kevin

I like your deflector wings. Do they eliminate buffeting as well as JES Fangs?

I'm happy with the Freedom Shield W/light tint and the original height of take off. I also got the wider shield. It really helps a lot.

I like the way they do business. As long as the protective film is on the windscreen you can send it back if you don't like the height, so install for fitness before taking it off.

I like your deflector wings. Do they eliminate buffeting as well as JES Fangs?

They do not. The reason we do not run fangs, nor recommend them, is fangs raise engine and oil temperature, on average 20-25 degrees. During cold weather, this may be ok, but in temps of 60 or more, this is definitely not a good idea.

The CDW's lower engine and oil temps 8-10 degrees, plus the reduce buffeting 75% as well as the fangs.

The drop in engine and oil temps of 28-35 degrees is a huge factor in engine longevity, performance and rider/passenger comfort.

Here is a LINK to an article on optimum temps for our engines.

Kevin

The tank lift and wind deflectors work really well. I first had lower fork deflectors but they took out all the wind, which was a bit hot here in the south. I removed those and did a deluxe tank lift and wind deflectors from DK. These worked great for reduced buffeting and still able to get some air. They also benefit engine temps.

I'm happy with the Freedom Shield W/light tint and the original height of take off. I also got the wider shield. It really helps a lot.

I like the way they do business. As long as the protective film is on the windscreen you can send it back if you don't like the height, so install for fitness before taking it off.

Another + for Freedom Shields. I bought a Freedom Shield last year. Have over 12K miles on it and love it. I too went with the wider shield light tint and re-curve same height as the original. They are great to do business with. Prices are reasonable. Another thing that I like is that their windshields are thicker than most other windshields.

Another plus for the freedom shield, The fit was great. "It even impressed me".

I also got the stock height (10'') in the wider touring style, in medium tint. Be sure its not to dark for ya. I would "NOT" want it any darker. Well worth the money and the tint looks great on the bike.

Good luck and Ride Safe..........................................

Freedom Shields

I also got the stock height (10'') in the wider touring style, in medium tint. Be sure its not to dark for ya. I would "NOT" want it any darker. Well worth the money and the tint looks great on the bike.

I'm interested in this same shield. Is the top of this shield at the curve clear enough to see through like they say? Some times I look over the 10" stock shield and some times I look through it. I don't want to lower the shield but I was concerned about the curve on some you can not see through. Thanks.

Clearview Windshield

I put the Clearview windshield on my 2017 Tri Glide because of the buffeting. I don't recall the height but I got the tall recurve clear one. At 5' 10" I have to sit up straight to see over it or else I just look through it. It solved all the buffeting problems for both me and the wife. I tried a medium height and I worked fine for me, but not the rider on the back.

I'm interested in this same shield. Is the top of this shield at the curve clear enough to see through like they say? Some times I look over the 10" stock shield and some times I look through it. I don't want to lower the shield but I was concerned about the curve on some you can not see through. Thanks.

The bike in your avatar is the same one I have, you will like the looks of the med tint, I'm also 5'10'' and if I slouch I have to look through it, no big deal seeing through it, The stock 10'' is the right height for me, The med tint was a little darker than the Harley med tint that I was use to so I was a little reluctant. As soon as I put it on I peeled the cover off knowing it was perfect for me, Looks great on the bike, so I got the best of both worlds.

No wind buffing, And no regret's, If and when it gets replaced the same shield will go back on.

I thank you will be very pleased with-it.

Good luck.......

You will be able to see thru the curve. I would not get a tint any more than the lowest one for if you travel at night. I am really happy with mine.

Agree with you on the tint. For the money it can't be beat. I figure if it lasts 3 to 4 years, it doesn't owe me anything.

I have an 8" LRS Ultra Recurve and a 7" FS Wide Touring, both in Medium Tint. I like both very much but give a slight nod to the wide touring, because it moves a bit more turbulent air around my hands and elbow areas. I mainly use the 8" LRS for cold weather riding, but really missed the wide touring benefits this past winter. So last month I ordered a 9" Wide Touring in light grey tint, thinking the extra height would be even better for cold weather and rainy conditions. Wrong!! After settling into my ride, it's top edge is annoyingly in my line of sight, and I can't adjust to looking through a shield. Possibly, the Progressive Lenses coming into play here.

So it's being boxed for return, with an 8" Medium Grey Tint Wide Touring as its replacement. This is one of the benefits of going with Freedom Shield, you can get a good bit of ride time on their shields and if you do not remove the protective film, then just get a return authorization (RMA) for replacement or refund. Of course the price of the ride each way is on us.:)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png