Fork Brace or no Fork Brace.

cScjhb

2500+ Posts
May 6, 2020
Mesa, Arid-Zone-A
My, new to me, 2008 GL1800 with California Sidecar kit did not have a fork brace. I previously installed a brace on my old GL1500 (2 wheeler) and liked it. My subsequent 2 wheel GL1800s did not have braces and seemed to handle just fine. I read an old thread here that was 5 or 6 years old dealing with the fork brace opinions. So I purchased one and installed it today. My bike handled OK without a brace. I had no wobble at any speed. It felt stable and I could take my hands off the handlebars without problem. But, my mind was thinking a brace would help. The reasoning was that trike forks experience different torque dynamics than 2 wheelers. In addition raking the front end results in a higher degree of stress on the fork tubes. It seemed to me that adding additional bracing would do nothing but good things.

The first ride today with the brace was everything I hoped for. I could definitely feel a difference. Hard to describe but the bike feels more stable. I like it. For those wondering about adding a fork brace I recommend doing it..... Jim

Just in case there are any other VTX1800 owners following this thread... I was wondering why I couldnt find a fork brace for a VTX1800, but VTX1300 were around.

https://www.vtxoa.com/threads/fork-brace.154515/

Quote from link-

I don't think the Wing has inverted forks. With inverted forks there is no lower leg flex happening, this is why they are better for this. Here is why normal forks need that little bit of extra stability;

<removed dead link>

Good to know. I love reading the forum, and learning more about my trike. THANKS to all who post.

Last edited:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timetraveller

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timetraveller
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png