Newbie with some dumb questions

Jul 18, 2012
Richmond VA
I just picked up a 91 Harley Ultra Classic with a Champion trike kit installed on it for the wife. This is definately her bike as I have a Victory Vision and don't feel at all comfortable riding the trike. She basically wanted the bike so she could have a bigger bike (and not worry about the weight) to ride on longer trips and not always be a passenger. The trike is beautiful and in great condition, but just not my cup of tea at this time...but then again, it's for the wife and not me. By the way - she loves it.

Now for the dumb questions...we've only had the trike for a little over a week, but I'm frustrated at not being able to do the simple maintenance tasks on it (and yes I do most of the work on my Victory).

1. Where the hell are the air valves for the air shocks?? I've read that they are behind the right access panel, but all I find there are the ECM connector along with various other electrical connections.

2. I really feel stupid on this one, but I can't remove the seat. According to the manual, you have to raise the rear of the seat above the tour pack (while pushing forward and down on the front of the seat) and then pull the seat to the rear so the front tab comes out of the slot in front of the tank. My problem is I can't get the rear to clear the tour pack - it feels like I'm going to break off the front tab if I try and raise the rear of the seat any higher.

3. How do you get the bike off the ground to remove the wheels?? Can you use a regular motorcycle jack?

4. What type of table can handle a trike?? Will a regular table with the side skirts work, or is there a special table that will work for both a trike and a 2 wheel motorcycle?

5. Her trike has the lower dress kit/running boards/rain shields (or whatever the kit is called). Does this have to come off to jack up the bike? There doesn't appear to be a lot of ground clearance.

I appreciate any help you can provide. I haven't felt this dumb since my first bike years ago.

I'm also going to post this on the Harley board...wasn't sure where I should place this to get the most visibility.

Bill

Welcome! Champion has good customer service- so you might consider contacting them for kit specific Q&A. As far as jacking the trike up-as long as you stay on the bikes frame close to the kit, and your jack is rated for the weight -you should carefully be able to jack it up. I use two jacks and jackstands on both rear axels when I ger her in the air. Be carefull not to place jacks or stands on the driveline or belts.. A lot of it is just common sense-if you have a good knowledge of motorcycle maintenence, it will go a long way. Good Luck!:D:wave4:

Thanks for the responses. I figured the seat removal out...the seat has a drivers backrest which attaches to the frame under the seat (all the ones I've had attached to the seat frame itself). So after removing the backrest, the seat came off easily. This is when I also found the air valves for the shocks, which were located on the frame under the rear of the seat.

I will eventually get all this worked out, I'm just use to working on a bike - not a trike.

Bill

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png